Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gouges for beginners?

Thanks for the additional thoughts guys. I think I could use them for carving escapements, as Steve mentioned. (In fact, I got the idea from your blog Steve.) I'd also like to be able to cut "finger grooves" in things as Jim suggests, without my electric router.

Lowell, Mike - I'm very glad you pointed out that I need to actually handle them. That will keep me from having excess tools. Mike, I also found some carving tutorials on your blog/website I plan to look at.

I've got to find someone local that sells them and I'll take your advice and limit what I buy. I'm thinking maybe a 3/4" with a deep sweep for finger grooves, maybe a 1/2" that's more shallow and I might try a small V-shaped one.

Have a good weekend!
    Fred

If you are looking for a set of general purpose bench gouges, take a look at the Henry Taylor gouges; they come in both in- and out-cannel versions, and will take care of almost any curved, fluting, texturing, and quick-removal work you need to do.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Blog Entries
    Country Workshops has a great selection of heavy duty and carving gouges made by Hans Karlsson in Sweden. They can be used to make parts of Windsor chair seats, trim the excess off tapered mortised chair legs....