Thread: For you guys that blow your dust outside, how big is the mess?

For you guys that blow your dust outside, how big is the mess?

I am thinking about doing just that for the summer, but my shop is 5' from my house. I would be blowing it around the corner, but just how bad is the dust problem? I mean, is the garage house covered in dust?

Larry

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't do it. It will get everywhere. I can only imagine these guys that do this have workshops in a large field or something.

Everyone that I know blows it into a covered trailer which makes disposal easy.

Be mindful of mold and termites.......you are sort of baiting/chumming for both.BUT,that isn't to say we aren't doing the same thing,inside....doh.The difference being,hopefully you're monitoring and handling the climate conditions inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    Everyone that I know blows it into a covered trailer which makes disposal easy.

+1 Depending on how much dust/shavings you make it might look like it "snowed" around your shop!
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

6. I see no dust outside, I use a Thien style separator ahead of the DC then exhaust the DC outside and there is no dust to be seen. The only dust that gets past the Thien separator is a little flour size sanding dust and that is so little that maybe, maybe in 10 or 15 years you might see a little outside. No problem here. Before exhausting outside I emptied my Thien style separator and had about 10 to 15 gallons of dust, the DC bag and filter did not have a cup of dust, to give you an idea how efficient the separator is.

What's the advantage to exhausting outside ?

Quote Originally Posted by Deb Malloy View Post
    What's the advantage to exhausting outside ?
    One big advantage is no filter/bag to clog. As secondary the performance does not drop off because of that.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

The OP was talking about dust, not just exhaust.

I have a separator on mine and the chips collect in a 55gal drum. The only time I see any chips in the yard is when the drum is over 3/4 full. My shop is metal and there is some mold on the end and on the gutter, I can live with that.
    Fred

I have nothing visible outside at all, just a rime of dust on the edge of the pipe. This is using a cyclone with barrel inside, and venting the rest outside with no filter.

If you mean to do it with no barrel, it will get messy.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-21-2015 at 2:32 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    I finish on the lathe so i can exhaust fumes outside . For chips i use a trash can with plywood top with two holes center goes to cyclone . Chips go in in wagon for walk paths . cyclone is loud outside but we have a highway on that side ,i can hear a drone at 200 feet ,but if i aim it 90 degrees up or down its half as loud .

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    I see no dust outside, I use a Thien style separator ahead of the DC then exhaust the DC outside and there is no dust to be seen. The only dust that gets past the Thien separator is a little flour size sanding dust and that is so little that maybe, maybe in 10 or 15 years you might see a little outside. No problem here. Before exhausting outside I emptied my Thien style separator and had about 10 to 15 gallons of dust, the DC bag and filter did not have a cup of dust, to give you an idea how efficient the separator is.
    I make about 50-60 yards a year, I should have specified. I have a trailor, but may make something that I can use the forks to move/unload. My shop is close to my house, 10', so I don't want to do something that I have to change. I want to get the dust collector totally out of my shop. No filters.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 03-22-2015 at 9:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    I made a fairly low volume of dust, about 60 or so gallons a year. Exhausted it outside my shop and it was OK. But if you are in a neighborhood or visible, no don't do it

I have a modified HF 2HP DC with a Thien baffle (ala Jay's Custom Creations) that dumps into a 31 gallon garbage can and then exhausts outside. When I first got it set up, I very quickly sucked up a lot of very fine MDF dust that had collected in the bottom of my table saw. Because of how fast I was feeding it to the DC, I did get some dust blowing out the exhaust - enough to give everything within about 3-4 feet of the exhaust a thin coat. But since it's outside, I didn't really care about that - at least it's not in the shop, and the rain will quickly take care of the dust. Since then, in normal operation I haven't seen any additional dust settling near the exhaust, so I think you wouldn't be making a huge mess. I've filled up the can half way since last summer to give you an idea how much I use it (not enough!).

We've got an acre and the shop is in the back corner, about as far away from the neighbors as it is possible to get, so I'm not too concerned about the noise or the dust. It's quieter and less annoying than the lawn mower, that's for sure.
    ~Garth