Thread: New Fein Turbo vs previous generation?

New Fein Turbo vs previous generation?

Has anyone used the new Fein Turbo design head to head with the old one? Where there any major deficiencies with the previous generation that have been engineered out?

The most recent past models had variable speed, the new ones do not. They rectify that with a vacuum bleed valve at the business end of the hose. I'm not aware of any deficiencies in the prior models. I've had one of the Turbo I's for years with any problems. Just a heads up there's a Gore Cleanstream HEPA filter that will fit Feins at a very reasonable price. There is also an online retailer that sells disposable replacement bags a lot cheaper than the genuine Fein bags

The only problem I've had with mine is the switched outlet in the vac will pull out if I don't hold the outlet when pulling the tool plug. The newer ones have a redesigned outlet. I've found Shop Vac 'butterfly' style bags fit my Fein Turbo II. The Gore Cleanstream 'red stripe' cartridge filters fit as well. The Fein cartridge filter retaining mechanism doesn't fit - the Cleanstream filter is too long - but it stays in place fine just pushing it on.

I replaced my ten year old Fein II with the new Turbo I. Now use the old one as a dedicatedvac for the chop saw. The new vac is first of all significantly quieter. It also rolls around MUCH easier due to larger wheels. With the top being flat I was able to mount the small Dust Deputy on top rather than along side as before. And you can use shop vac or Ridgid bags instead if the insanely expensive Fein bags. My only complaint is the hose which seems stiffer than the old and for some mysterious reason the tool attachment diameter is slightly smaller than the old. This is a major headache at times and almost a deal breaker. Why Fein could not leave well enough alone I would like someone to explain to me! And very importantly the suction does seem to be stronger, for sure the airflow is greater. IMO the new vac is an improvement over the old, hope the longevity is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    With the top being flat I was able to mount the small Dust Deputy on top rather than along side as before.
    I have an older Turbo II and love it, but I would consider an additional Turbo I. Are you saying that you stack a 5 gal bucket on top? How is it secured? Can you post a quick snap?

I am swamped right now , sorry no pic. But I found a 2.5 gal plastic food grade (really thick) bucket that I glued the DD to and jury rigged it to the turbo top with plastic ties from the back. Since the pull from the hose is towards the front and the piping is somewhat rigid there is no problem. Black plastic drain pipe and some dust fittings and some grinding and it works remarkably well. Do not try to use clear dust collection hose as it will shorten when vacuum is applied. DAHIK. But the best thing I have ever done to make my life easy in the shop was to purchase a thirty dollar remote made by Fastcap for shop vacs. beats walking over to the vac every time I want to turn it on or off. And Fein does not put the switch in a easily reached spot. The DD also means i will not have to buy bags etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I am swamped right now , sorry no pic. But I found a 2.5 gal plastic food grade (really thick) bucket that I glued the DD to and jury rigged it to the turbo top with plastic ties from the back. Since the pull from the hose is towards the front and the piping is somewhat rigid there is no problem. Black plastic drain pipe and some dust fittings and some grinding and it works remarkably well. Do not try to use clear dust collection hose as it will shorten when vacuum is applied. DAHIK. But the best thing I have ever done to make my life easy in the shop was to purchase a thirty dollar remote made by Fastcap for shop vacs. beats walking over to the vac every time I want to turn it on or off. And Fein does not put the switch in a easily reached spot. The DD also means i will not have to buy bags etc.
    great idea, where did you find the bucket?