Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Your Drill Press Have A Morse Taper?

Does Your Drill Press Have A Morse Taper?

I have the chance to buy a spindle for my drill press that has a Morse taper. Does your drill press have one? Do you make use of it? If you don't have one, do you wish you had one?

Thanks,
    John

Yes it does, and I have almost a complete set of Morse taper drill bits that I use for any time I do metal work. Morse tapes drill bits from 3/16" to 1 1/4". They came with the drill press. Never have one twist in the chuck any more.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    I have the chance to buy a spindle for my drill press that has a Morse taper. Does your drill press have one? Do you make use of it? If you don't have one, do you wish you had one?

Thanks,
    John
    One of mine does, I use it with bits larger than 1/2" in steel.....................Rod.

Yes, it does. And to be honest I wouldn't want a DP that didn't have a morse taper. It's the standard taper for drill presses. It's self locking and you can always find arbors to mount just about any drill chuck or anything else you might want to mount.

My big one does, it's the ticket for metal work. Not necessary for woodworking probably, but nice to have.

Perhaps I am confused, but don't all drill presses (and lathes) have morse tapers?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Perhaps I am confused, but don't all drill presses (and lathes) have morse tapers?
    Most drill presses have Jacobs tapers to hold the chuck in the arbor... That's why it's not good to put a side load on a drill press (like with those drum sanders, or using the chuck as a lathe) as the lateral force can pop the taper. Thats why most lathes have a morse taper.

I have a Craftsman that does not have morse taper. It has a threaded shaft and threaded ring. Never had a problem with it.

Craftsman 1969 year model I used it in auto repair shop with seven mechanics for 23 years. Has threaded ring on top of chuck that shaft screws into chuck bottom and ring screws on at top and no morse taper. No problems and still using it in woodshop today.

Yes. It's an old Rockwell with variable speed. Works great.

If you aren't sure what you have extend the spindle fully out and see if there is a slot to insert the drift through the spindle. if so then you have a Morse taper. If you have a Morse taper then nearly all chucks are attached to the Morse taper shank by a Jacobs taper. Confusing huh? It was developed by Jacobs for there chucks and became the standard chuck mounting method.

A cpl do,cpl don't.

W/T 20" in the cab shop does,15" C-man in reloading rm does not.The two best examples of haves and have nots here.

Quote Originally Posted by James Evatt View Post
    Craftsman 1969 year model I used it in auto repair shop with seven mechanics for 23 years. Has threaded ring on top of chuck that shaft screws into chuck bottom and ring screws on at top and no morse taper. No problems and still using it in woodshop today.
    This is what mine currently has. It is called a Jacobs taper. Different from a Morse taper. If the chuck is 1/2", the taper is a JT33.

I bought the Morse taper spindle. Thanks everyone for your input on this!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    If you aren't sure what you have extend the spindle fully out and see if there is a slot to insert the drift through the spindle. if so then you have a Morse taper. If you have a Morse taper then nearly all chucks are attached to the Morse taper shank by a Jacobs taper. Confusing huh? It was developed by Jacobs for there chucks and became the standard chuck mounting method.
    Just for fun I looked it up. DP spindle is MT2, chuck is JT3. Any reason Jacobs developed when Morse already existed?
    OTOH I bought a MT2 chuck for my RAS and then found it fit my lathe also.
    Go figure.

Wade, since you have a JT3, i'm guessing you have a 5/8" drill chuck. I never could find a JT33 chuck that had a capacity greater than 1/2". Most 5/8" chucks don't close down to 0". Now I can have 2 chucks and swap them out as needed.

James, what you have sounds like what I had. THe chuck had a threaded collar that screwed up onto the spindle to hold the chuck on tight. The problem with mine was that the chuck spun on the tapered end of the spindle and damaged the taper.

John