Thread: Just got my new PM 2800B - Cast Iron Base Wobble?

Question Just got my new PM 2800B - Cast Iron Base Wobble?

So I'm assembling my new Powermatic PM2800B Drill Press and I notice that the cast iron base is about as flat as table at a diner. It will rock back and forth from one corner to another. Has anybody else had this problem with theirs and will it go away once I put the head on it?

At the base, it rocks about 1/16"-3/32", but at the top of the column, this equals out to about 1/2"-3/4".

I wasn't planning on mounting it to the floor right away and the manual says not to use a mobile base. Should I just not worry about the "suggestion" and mount it to the oversized base that I made for my previous Delta 18-900L that I previously had and returned or contact Powermatic first thing tomorrow and see what they say? I plan on calling PM, but wanted to see if anybody else had this problem or if it's something I shouldn't even be worried about, put the head on it and start making holes

I would probably just take a grinder to the long leg of the base. You shouldn't have to with a new drill press but it will probably be a lot less work returning it and getting a new one.

Do you know that your floor is flat? If you're like most of us, your shop is a garage. The concrete floor in most garages is just thrown in there by a coupla concrete guys who are just covering the ground. A quarter inch out of flat is pretty good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Do you know that your floor is flat? If you're like most of us, your shop is a garage. The concrete floor in most garages is just thrown in there by a coupla concrete guys who are just covering the ground. A quarter inch out of flat is pretty good for them.
    The wobble is the same as it was on my flat tables, so it's not just the concrete

You said it's new right? Have you called Powermatic?
    That would be the first thing I would do before posting about it.

Blog Entries
    Just like Grizzly, Jet or any other manufacturer; you need to hold them responsible for their QC. I know you are anxious to assemble and use your new DP but, you will curse it every day if it isn't right. Call for a new base or make the correction yourself. I would not leave it uncorrected or use a shim though. Mine is bolted to a 21" x 24" weighted base. This sets in a mobile base that I have NEVER moved. Next time someone is around to help I am setting it on the floor and bolting it down.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-24-2015 at 2:52 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Grind it and bolt it to the floor. Two anchors are no big deal to fill if you want to move it later. Considering how easy the solution and how much of a pain it is to get a new base, I would just handle it. I could send you a picture of my drill press that tipped over because I did not want to bolt it down, and that may change your mind. Its belt cover is all bent to heck.

I just got off the phone with Powermatic and I'm already 100 times more confident in this purchase than my previous Delta DP purchase. They said they were going to send me out a new base, easy as that. I'm going to finish assembling the DP so that I can check that everything else is working properly, etc.

I think you may find that when you put the head on the column that with that much weight (230 lbs?) cantilevered off one side the base will flatten out and no longer wobble.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post
    I think you may find that when you put the head on the column that with that much weight (230 lbs?) cantilevered off one side the base will flatten out and no longer wobble.
    I'm still waiting for my dad to come over tonight to help me put the head on this evening, so maybe I'll wait to see how that turns out before having them send me a new base. Then again, can I be sure that it won't cause a problem in the future if it does flatten out?

Bump ....

Was the problem solved to your satisfaction? I am considering the Delta you returned and the only slightly more expensive Powermatic that you post about here and would like to know your thoughts ....

Quote Originally Posted by Dipan Patel View Post
    Bump ....

Was the problem solved to your satisfaction? I am considering the Delta you returned and the only slightly more expensive Powermatic that you post about here and would like to know your thoughts ....
    Powermatic sent me a new base as well as a new depth stop collar as it wasn't holding when in certain spots. Everything is working great now and am really glad I picked up this DP, highly recommend it. I would highly advise against the Delta DP. Their Customer Service has gone down hill and parts are hard to come by, even for the new machines.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is my first drill press, but everything about the PM2800B is great.

You can find the details about the horrible experience that I had with the Delta DP here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...re-Delta-Tools

Quote Originally Posted by David B Thornton View Post
    Powermatic sent me a new base as well as a new depth stop collar as it wasn't holding when in certain spots. Everything is working great now and am really glad I picked up this DP, highly recommend it. I would highly advise against the Delta DP. Their Customer Service has gone down hill and parts are hard to come by, even for the new machines.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is my first drill press, but everything about the PM2800B is great.

You can find the details about the horrible experience that I had with the Delta DP here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...re-Delta-Tools
    Thank you David. I just picked up the PM drill press from the local Woodcraft, in part due to your positive overall experience. Quality seems okay and I say that mainly because there is a decent amount of runout grossly visible. I will have to get a dial indicator before I try to fix it by reseating the chuck.