Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware diagnostic software - Intel/Windows

Hardware diagnostic software - Intel/Windows

All

I've got a HP system at home which is 4 yrs old, and beginning to have "issues"....has trouble booting, or crashes (blue screen) and then has boot issues. Running Win 7. 10M real memory, and a 1.5Tb drive, and a AMD processor.

Anti Virus (Kaspersky) is up to date and indicates the system is clean. Problem started approx. two weeks ago, and is intermittent.

I'm looking for a recommendation on some hardware utilities - one which I can exercise the drive and memory - which seems to be the likely candidates.

Thanks

Jim

Windows has a couple built in you can try

Open windows Explorer
    Right click the drive in question and choose properties
    Select tools

Should be 3 different tolls to try if I remember correctly

......... That's where I'd start

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

If the built in stuff doesn't solve your problems, search for Memtest86 (or Memtest86+, I haven't kept track of their politics.) Get the most current from a reputable download site and run it over night. It is designed to test your memory, but has the reputation of beating up your CPU, cache, etc. pretty well too. It won't tell you anything about your disk or about the state of you OS install ("bit rot", etc.) but can id or fairly conclusively eliminate memory problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    If the built in stuff doesn't solve your problems, search for Memtest86 (or Memtest86+, I haven't kept track of their politics.) Get the most current from a reputable download site and run it over night. It is designed to test your memory, but has the reputation of beating up your CPU, cache, etc. pretty well too. It won't tell you anything about your disk or about the state of you OS install ("bit rot", etc.) but can id or fairly conclusively eliminate memory problems.
    I'll second this one. Memory rarely fails, but when it does, flakiness is a direct result. I have had two systems slowly go belly up due to bad memory chips.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Not for nothing, but have you vacuumed the interior of your PC in four years?
    Heat is the mortal enemy of discrete electronics.

Dust traps heat.

I agree that heat can cause a problem. But I would not vacuum due to potential static issues. Instead, you can use canned air to blow dust out . Be careful if you have a fan on the cpu, as you can damage the fan or fins with too hard a blast.

Hopefully, you have previously backed up your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Not for nothing, but have you vacuumed the interior of your PC in four years?
    Heat is the mortal enemy of discrete electronics.

Dust traps heat.
    Not to mention cat hair. Do you have pets?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've used compressed air. Just don't go nuts - set the pressure to what seems reasonable. Use a pen or something to hold the fans still. You could alternate memory sticks - sometimes simply reseating will fix random issues. Memtest X86+ is good but I don't know that it would check for connector issues. Disconnecting and reconnecting drive cables won't hurt either. I've had problems with the wide IDE ribbon cables in the past, I don't know that the narrow molded SATA cables would be prone to connector problems like the ribbon cables were.

Quote Originally Posted by myk rian View Post
    not to mention cat hair. Do you have pets?
    tech_support.jpeg

Update....

No pets in the house....so no hair other than human

System was backed up FRiday night and current, until last night, when wife insisted she had to look at email.

Our last system had a memory stick go bad, we got all kinds of crazy dumps/program failures for weeks. Sent them all off to Microsoft w/ a tool Win XP had. Microsoft finally spotted something which said to them 'bad memory'. They provided a downloadable memory test utility, ran it, it spotted the bad stick - got it replaced, no more problems. Hence the reason I asked about it...

Cleaning out the dust - good thought - will do so.

Can reseat cables, etc.

Chkdisk is running as I key this - been running since about 7.45 last night - its about 50% done (stage 5 - cluster check). Stages 1-4 reported no errors.

More tonight or tomorrow....

Thks

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Laumann View Post
    Update....

No pets in the house....so no hair other than human

System was backed up FRiday night and current, until last night, when wife insisted she had to look at email.

Our last system had a memory stick go bad, we got all kinds of crazy dumps/program failures for weeks. Sent them all off to Microsoft w/ a tool Win XP had. Microsoft finally spotted something which said to them 'bad memory'. They provided a downloadable memory test utility, ran it, it spotted the bad stick - got it replaced, no more problems. Hence the reason I asked about it...

Cleaning out the dust - good thought - will do so.

Can reseat cables, etc.

Chkdisk is running as I key this - been running since about 7.45 last night - its about 50% done (stage 5 - cluster check). Stages 1-4 reported no errors.

More tonight or tomorrow....

Thks

Jim
    Our test technicians frequently used a hot air gun to locally heat areas of the computer board, cables, etc to force problems as a diagnostic tool or alternatively blast areas with cold (freeze spray). The idea was to find a sensitive spot to help localize further investigation. This can help isolate a bad circuit area and point you to a possible conenctor or solder joint problem (yes - they can/do go bad over time)

Run the system file checker and see if any critical files are corrupted
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...indows-7-vista

Here is a free utility that will really stress the hardware. You can check the graphs to see if the cpu is overheating for example and check the power output of the power supply
    http://www.ocbase.com/

Check your event viewer
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

I've had high dollar power supplies cause those problems.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I've had high dollar power supplies cause those problems.
    This, too... lost two to this in the last 5-6 years. Doesn't really give me much confidence in the "high-end" supply manufacturers :-/
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I agree that heat can cause a problem. But I would not vacuum due to potential static issues. Instead, you can use canned air to blow dust out . Be careful if you have a fan on the cpu, as you can damage the fan or fins with too hard a blast.

Hopefully, you have previously backed up your computer.
    i will second this recommendation...canned air and carefully blow the dust from the cpu fan, th e power supply etc. what I ahve noticed about canned air that it gets very cold quickly so i tend to do short blasts so i do not freeze any component of the computer.