Thread: can anyone name this radial arm saw? and give me any information about it?

can anyone name this radial arm saw? and give me any information about it?

craigslist ad says It is a massive WWII beast, rock solid and weighs #300radial.jpg

I am considering going to look at it, mainly as a crosscut saw to replace my craftsman ras

also he is offering as package with this bandsaw. any idea what it is
    band.jpg

i guess its a
    J.D. Wallace 10" Radial arm saw and 14" band saw WWII surplus, are these good saws? what are they worth?
    Last edited by cody michael; 03-25-2015 at 2:44 PM.

I can't help you with the ID. My only concern would be with parts since they aren't "common". That doesn't stop them OWWM folks though.

You don't see a lot of Wallace stuff around these days, and I would expect parts to be an issue.
    Most people don't see much need for RASs these days, so you can find plenty of good quality ones available for very little money.
    Some of the Wallace stuff was direct drive which takes up more room than a belt drive with the motor underneath.

That RAS does look just like the 11" saw photo on the OWWM site. If it will has the same 17" crosscut capacity as described, it could be a nice shop asset if you do a lot of crosscuts. I personally have a vintage DeWalt RAS for all my crosscutting work. Wouldn't go back to anything else, but I'm limited to around a 12" crosscut and occasionally wish I had more.

The bandsaw looks nice also. It looks like all of the Wallace bandsaws were 16", which is a pretty versatile size. One thing to be aware of is that if you get a yearning to expand to a taller resaw height on this saw, you're probably out of luck. The photos look like maybe 8-10" resaw height (?).

On both saws, you can probably count on replacing all the bearings including in the motors. Also belts, tires and electrical cords. It would be a restoration project for sure, but if the price is right, you could have a couple of real jewels. Unless they are both already restored, I don't think I'd pay more than $400-500 for the pair. Less would be better : > )T

BTW, check whether they're 3 phase. That could be a deal breaker unless the saws are practically free, since you'll probably have to invest in some sort of converter.

Yeah, looks like a Wallace. There is one for sale on BOYD now (OWWM). Solid. I would most definitely take a look!

they are 3 phase but if I bought both seller woujld throw in a converter.

I have a jet 14, with a riser block.

You didn't mention the asking price.....

asking 400 for both, said he is flexible. trying to decide if it is worth it.

I saw the ad. $400 is at the upper reaches of value, even if you were a collector of Wallace machines. The band saw is probably worth more than the RAS.
    Wallace made very heavy duty machines. Kinda like tanks.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

That is a good deal for that package. We never see that kind of stuff around here.

$400 for both seems like an excellent deal to me. They are built with mass, casting quality and elegant design not seen in today's tools without spending a much larger amount. There are often parts available from other enthusiasts, or repairable or recreatable. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, have interest and are willing to put in a little elbow grease then jump on it before someone else makes that call.

Doug