Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about foley retoother

question about foley retoother

I'm new and if this is the wrong forum I'm sorry.

I've got a neighbor with a foley retoother and auto filer for sale for 100 bucks, the problem is they are both missing the tracks. can these be made or luck up and find used for sale somewhere? They are overall in running shape as best I can tell just missing the tracks.

I would just guess those tracks can be had or made. But for $100, those machines would be in my garage by now. BTW, where do you live? Just curious, you know...

Blog Entries
    Howdy Mark and welcome to the Creek.

If you are in the Pacific Northwest and do not want to buy those, let me know because I most likely would.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The value is in the fixturing (ratchet bars). Several years ago, I bought the whole Foley shebang, all machines and all regular carrier bars and several special carrier bars. Paid $400.00. Got that much fun out of it in the first few weeks, but now it sits for "one of these days"! (and before someone PM's me, it is not for sale, as I do intend to spend some time with it, when I give up working for a living).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

You can make both the carrier bars and the ratchet bars. The carrier bars are fairly easy, and there are drawings and instructions on the internet describing their construction.
    The ratchet bars are more difficult. Sometimes you can find them on eBay, but they are pretty pricey. They can be made, but are a LOT of work. I have made some using threaded rod as a base, and have hand-filed some, too.
    That sounds like a decent price for both machines!
    Rick

I just bought another instead 200 bucks for the filer, setter and toother with tracks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark weathersbee View Post
    I just bought another instead 200 bucks for the filer, setter and toother with tracks.
    By any chance are you in the Pacific Norhtwest?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Whitehead View Post
    You can make both the carrier bars and the ratchet bars. The carrier bars are fairly easy, and there are drawings and instructions on the internet describing their construction.
    The ratchet bars are more difficult. Sometimes you can find them on eBay, but they are pretty pricey. They can be made, but are a LOT of work. I have made some using threaded rod as a base, and have hand-filed some, too.
    That sounds like a decent price for both machines!
    Rick

Tip of the hat to you for the patience needed to hand-file the ratchets!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I'm I'm the Chicago area Unfortunately. I'd love to have your view

Hi Mark. I was curious what ratchet bars came with it. There are nine in a full set. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, & 16. The 12, 14, 15 and 16 are some what rare.

I had a little "Burro" toother which I liked very much at the toolmaker's shop. Simpler to use than the Foley. I needed a finer ratchet bar than the finest one I had. So,I took the milling machine,and rigged up a way to mill an extra tooth in between the teeth of one of the ratchet bars.This was for about 12",and for making dovetail saws. I can't recall how I set the mill up to do this easily,but I did.

This did not hurt the original TPI of the ratchet bar,as the pawl could easily be set to jump over the finer ratchet bar area,and engage the coarser tooth settings. Or,the pawl could be set to engage the finer settings. Worked out very well. I wish I still had it.

I do have a Foley now,but haven't set it up due to space restraints,and the lack of compulsion to make more saws.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-27-2015 at 4:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I had a little "Burro" filer which I liked very much at the toolmaker's shop. Simpler to use than the Foley. I needed a finer ratchet bar than the finest one I had. So,I took the milling machine,and rigged up a way to mill an extra tooth in between the teeth of one of the ratchet bars.This was for about 12",and for making dovetail saws. I can't recall how I set the mill up to do this easily,but I did..
    Do you mean a punch, George, or was it a filer? If it was a totoher, did it look like the one below?

burr-toother-prep-12.jpg

The toother I bought only had a few bars with it, and they were in pretty poor shape. They were also too coarse for what I needed.

I ended up having a set made that covers anything from 5 to 16 ppi. I sent plans out to a laser cutting company and had them a few days later. Very accurate, and probably a fraction of the cost it would take to have a set milled. Those bars were for a Burr toother, not a Foley, though. I tink the Foleys have a few extra bits or tabs that need to be added so they will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Hi Mark. I was curious what ratchet bars came with it. There are nine in a full set. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, & 16. The 12, 14, 15 and 16 are some what rare.
    The markings on the bars 8 - 4 1/2, 10 - 5 1/2, 9 - 5, 11 - 6, and 13 - 4.

Oh,I meant a toother,and yes,it was just like the one you pictured. BTW,we used to have to remove the triangular HSS punch and grind it sharp and square sometimes. Eventually its corners would get dull.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-27-2015 at 4:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Oh,I meant a toother,and yes,it was just like the one you pictured. BTW,we used to have to remove the triangular HSS punch and grind it sharp and square sometimes. Eventually its corners would get dull.
    I hoped that was what you meant, as I would have felt compelled to look for a filer if that was what you had used.

The nice thing about the Burr toother is that you can use all three corners of the punch instead of a single corner on the Foleys. But if you are only toothing your own blades and not taking in work, I doubt that you would need to do this in your lifetime.