Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have a double router table? Did you decide not to build one?

Blog Entries
    Last edited by jack duren; 03-26-2015 at 8:12 PM.

I don't have a double table but I have two tables. My main table has a home made lift and also a horizontal table option. The vertical table top tilts up for bit changes - which is very handy. My other router table was my only router table for awhile. It is a setup in the extension table of my table saw. The extension table is melamine particle board with mounts to the rails. On the underside the particle board is thinned to about 3/8 thickness in the shape of one of my PC690 router bases. T nuts secure the router fence. Normally, the only difference on the extension table is the hole for the router bit to come through and a couple small holes for the studs to get to the t-nuts for the fence. Doesn't inhibit table saw use at all.

Normally if I'm making doors, it is not a big deal to do all the coping then all the sticking then all the raised panels then all the edges. But sometimes I want to maintain my setup on the main table and do something else. That's when the extra table is useful. It would not usually be cope and stick because my favorite cutters are stacked. My coping sled makes the height adjustment minimal between cuts. But I have a two bit set so for that it might make sense to set up both tables with those cutters. If I had three identical panel raisers I could set up for three successive cuts but I'll probably never do that.

I don't know if I'd like two routers in one cabinet. It's easier to remember what my two are set up for when they are separate setups. Two in one cabinet and switching back and forth seems unnatural. But maybe I'd like it.

I did pretty much the same thing, Jim. I had a router table in the extension of my table saw for a long time, then I built a custom router table and have used that instead ever since. The router table is still in my saw wing, it's just been empty for years. I kept thinking that I might use it for something someday, I just haven't had a reason to have a router mounted in it forever. There are very few things that I can think of that might make a double-table worthwhile, especially since I have very few things I can even use two separate router table setups for.

Depending on what projects you make... Having two routers set up at the same time can be more convenient...
    Like Brian, have a router setup in table saw extension and then built a dedicated router table..
    On the dedicated table which is 5' long I also mounted one router horiz, mainly use it for mortise/tenon work, but it is used for other things also..

If you have room, why not ??

I'm in the "go for it" camp. Every time I see a triple shaper I think about how helpful a double, or even better a triple, router table would be. Currently I have 1 router table with digital lift and precise incra style fence positioner and several hand held routers, 3 of which are trim routers dedicated to different size roundovers. The dedicated little routers save a lot of time and fiddling around. If I had the space I'd surely do a double, and more probably, a triple table. It would be a real pleasure when doing door rail, stile and panels.

I used to have two in my tables extension and it was convenient. I just never could get a table to stay flat through the years. I thought about buying two Bench Dog, bolt on CI wings, and redoing it that way, but that would have been pretty costly. I also don't have the physical space to do it properly.
    I understand Rod's post about having the spindles set up for RH and LH rotation with the same cutter, but for a guy working alone in the garage or basement, having multiple routers setup can be a time saver.
    I don't do this, woodworking, for a living, so a project that would take a professional a morning, or a day, would probably take me a week or more just because it gets fit around everything else. Leaving the routers setup in a table, to be able to come back at a later time, to either finish the job or remake a piece, would be beneficial.
    I say go for it. It won't be that expensive to build a multi head table.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

"I would really appreciate some insight from those who have or have used a double set up. Did it make sense for you? What was your fence set up? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated."
    Have twin-pin 7518's.
    One for 80+% of the waste.
    The second for the finish cut.
    Essentially to waste templetized plastic parts.
    Run separately no problems. Run simultaneously and the finish tool resonates.
    Doubles the chatter! Otherwise overwhelmingly efficient, safe, expensive, noisy and saves space.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Have twin-pin 7518's.
    One for 80+% of the waste.
    The second for the finish cut.
    Essentially to waste templetized plastic parts.
    Run separately no problems. Run simultaneously and the finish tool resonates.
    Doubles the chatter! Otherwise overwhelmingly efficient, safe, expensive, noisy and saves space.
    I'm not sure if you are offering this set up hypothetically or you have this in your shop? In either case can you please explain what you mean by "Essentially to waste templetized plastic parts." and ...finish tool resonates."?

Thanks,

Stuart

Resonance = vibration in harmony (constructive in phase vibration) = chatter on the work.
    Yes I have the 2 pin-routers on one table.
    Templetized plastic: Plastic parts fastened to templets.
    The templets roll against the bearing pins and copy the work underneath them.
    Wasting = routing. All routing is the removal of waste in a defined & measured way.
    Intelligible? Get back as needed.

I have a Woodpeckers lift, but it rarely gets used. I built five of these for a sash project, and have ended up using them more than the lift since then for other projects. Dust collection is 100% with nothing more than a shop vac, and everyone who sees one run says, "I want one". They store out of the way when not in use. Another unexpected advantage is that the vacuum suction keeps the piece pulled tight into the fence. That router has run hundreds of feet of material, and still looks like the day I took it out of the box.

http://historic-house-restoration.co...dows3_0052.JPG
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-27-2015 at 1:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Resonance = vibration in harmony (constructive in phase vibration) = chatter on the work.
    Yes I have the 2 pin-routers on one table.
    Templetized plastic: Plastic parts fastened to templets.
    The templets roll against the bearing pins and copy the work underneath them.
    Wasting = routing. All routing is the removal of waste in a defined & measured way.
    Intelligible? Get back as needed.
    Pat my three router setup is a permanent door setup with another router table setup just for raised crowns. When I started a cabinet shop it was overnight and had already made the three router table seen in the pictures above so I went from working for a cabinet shop to running my own.

Anyway things got slow after two years and shut the shop down and went into commercial cabinet making, now a furniture maker for another and the three head router table and crown setup sit idle. Doesn't eat anything and I have 17-18 other routers I can use. The dedicated setup payed for itself many times.

As far as running the doors everything is the same as a shaper only the panel bit running opposite what a shaper would run took two passes to clean it up and get the thickness for the panel and rail.
    pate router.jpgpat router.jpg

Why not have one table with multiple same brand routers mounted on same brand plates. Then all you have to do is switch out routers set and ready to use. And really the routers don't need to be the same brand, just the insert. For instance, if your making cabinet doors. Have one with the rail cutter, one with the stile cutter, and one for the panel. I don't have this setup myself, but have seen it and wish I did.