Thread: Wood species for center mount wood drawer gliders

Wood species for center mount wood drawer gliders

Any opinions or experiences on the type of wood species that would make a good center mount drawer glide? I am considering hard maple and quartersawn white oak.

It isn't going to show and it doesn't require a lot of strength. Why not use poplar, which is a traditional material for internal cabinet and furniture parts? It is strong, easy to work and economical.

I've used maple for the few I've made.

John

The easiest ones to open that I have made were made out of Teak. Self lubricating and like someone said, you do not use much material.

Hard Maple with a lot of wax.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't use poplar as it is pretty soft and would wear more quickly than maple. My preference would be hickory if you can get it. It is hard and can be sanded to a very smooth finish. Use paraffin or paste wax, not beeswax which would tend to be sticky when used on a slide.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute