Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Are Chips Bypassing My Cyclone?

I am also having trouble with larger pieces 1/4" x 1/4" x 1" that will spin around the cyclone until I shut it down. Also used the jointer and planer and chips are bypassing. I noticed that when I popped the lid there were a few wrinkles that contained dust at the lip so obviously some small leaks. I ran it without the bag after adding a foam pipe insulator around the lip of the barrel. It was very tight and the problem was still the same. I put an email into Grizzly tech support we'll see what they have to say. I've caulked every joint possible and the handles and casters on the drum. The only thing left are the bolt heads and washers connecting the pieces.

Think I answered my own question about the chips.
    When I took the bag out to try that I should have blocked off the bag vacuum hose it pulls the chips right out of the barrel. Still not sure about the larger pieces spinning endlessly though.
    Last edited by mike mcilroy; 04-07-2015 at 11:17 PM.

Do you have a flange on top of your barrel lid? When I installed mine, I caulked around the edge to the inside of the flange, and around the bolt holes, so I sealed it off. Some rubber washers would not hurt. I can watch my hose and the dust just flows down into the barrel, kind of makes a twisting motion. When I had a leak, the chips filled the barrel in a cone, small end up, and now it fills the barrel tight to the outside.

My barrel fills in a ring around the outer portion and a hollow under the flex hose. I have been thinking about adding foam weatherstripping to the barrel lid so maybe the foam will seal any wrinkles in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    My barrel fills in a ring around the outer portion and a hollow under the flex hose. I have been thinking about adding foam weatherstripping to the barrel lid so maybe the foam will seal any wrinkles in the bag.
    This pattern is usually indicative of re-entrainment. The spinning air changes direction at the bottom of the cone and goes back up the center of the cyclone. When it changes direction, the dust is dropped out, but the air will often leave a divot in the dust. The higher the dust level (approaching the bottom of the cone) the more pronounced the divot.

This is why I like a longer discharge pipe/hose instead of putting the collection drum directly on the bottom of the cyclone. Often, high efficiency industrial cyclones will have a separate chamber below the cone to allow the dust to separate from the vortex, then fall down into a collection drum, airlock, or some other sealing device. The chamber has to be properly designed for the air flow and cyclone geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    Yes, the carry over gets worse as the barrel fills. This units is the same as the Laguna manual cleaning unit. Videos exist that show a full barrel of dust and chips being sucked up with next to nothing going in the bag. In addition, there are several videos done by owners of the 2 hp Laguna version that are very complimentary. While the short cone may not be as efficeint for the fines and dust, there should ne little in the line of chips going into the filter bag.
    I did my research before purchase. I believe there is something wrong with this particular machine.
    Let us know what the manufacturer tells you and if it improves performance.

Edit: I see you have the 3HP version and what sounds like minimal ducting. One branch is longer with more losses than the other. Are you running both branches at the same time? A long shot, but you may be pulling too much flow and making the carry over worse (stronger vortex at the bottom of the cone reaching farther into the barrel). If this theory is correct, you would see less carryover on the branch with more hose because the flow would be less due to more resistance (assuming the dust size is basically the same). The carryover will get worse as the barrel fills on any cyclone when the dust level is too close to the bottom of the cone.
    Last edited by Michael W. Clark; 04-08-2015 at 7:50 PM.

I have a 2HP Laguna, and most debris goes to the barrel. and very little into the smaller filter bag. And certainly not chips. I am assuming that the 2HP and 3HP Laguna units are pretty similar in their operation (and similar to your cyclone).

I have sent pictures of my set up and videos of the issue to King now. They are trying to ascertain what the issue is. I hope they can resolve it and it is not an issue with the machine itself. What a pain returning the machine and picking up a new one will be. Honestly, I am wishing that I had stuck with my 2hp with the SDD.

So, an answer from King. Two parts.

1. The wye is too close to the input. OK, I could buy that. Problem is that the same thing happens even when I go to the default set up that the machine came with, i.e. the 8" to 3 X 4" reducer, and a piece of 4" hose.

2. It is because I am using pine. Really?

Don't lots of people use pine? Does that mean that tools are excused poor performance because someone is using pine? Why does my SDD have no issues such as these.

Not an acceptable answer. Am now looking for a refund. I do not remember reading anything in the literature warning that it will not work with pine.

What horse puckey!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    So, an answer from King. Two parts.

1. The wye is too close to the input. OK, I could buy that. Problem is that the same thing happens even when I go to the default set up that the machine came with, i.e. the 8" to 3 X 4" reducer, and a piece of 4" hose.

2. It is because I am using pine. Really?

Don't lots of people use pine? Does that mean that tools are excused poor performance because someone is using pine? Why does my SDD have no issues such as these.

Not an acceptable answer. Am now looking for a refund. I do not remember reading anything in the literature warning that it will not work with pine.

What horse puckey!
    Oh you didn't tell us you were using pine.

Yeah, that is the problem.

Just kidding.

I think there is a chance the cones on these is just too short.

There have been some guys that modified these with baffles/vortex breakers.

Personally, I'd switch back to the SDD.

I am engaging for a return and refund so I can do just that, return to my SDD. I will take a bath on the $300+ I spent on 6" hose and ducting, as the SDD uses 5", but it is better than what is happening right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I think there is a chance the cones on these is just too short
    Mike, sorry about the news. It sounds like you got someone that may not know what they are doing. Phil's comment is exactly what I thought when I first saw these units.

I'm not sure what Pine has to do with it other than it is lighter than some woods. I guess it will not work with poplar or bass wood either and probably others. Pine is known for long stringy shavings, but that would be a problem in any hobby cyclone if plugging was a concern.

You should have asked them what woods it was designed for and where is the list in the manual! Ha!

Anyway, sorry for your luck and hope they resolve it amicably.

P.S. Don't worry about the 6". You may find a use for it or be able to sell it.

Mike

What if I were to put a 5 to 6" adapter in at the SDD?

Resolved

King Canada, due in no small part to my local distributor, has agreed to classify my unit as defective and take it back. Not only that, but I have decided to go back to my old system and use the credit to buy a new edge sander and a large spindle sander. A win on all fronts for me. This whole exercise has shown me how well my old system was working.

I'm glad it worked out for you Mike.