Thread: Hardwood flooring question

Hardwood flooring question

So I'm milling a bunch of flooring for a customer, and it's walnut that came off of his creek, but my question is how big of crack/knot hole is expedient and what are the options for filling larger gaps? Epoxy? I don't think he'll mind the smaller stuff as it's going in a farm house.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I'm going to say your asking the wrong people. Only one who can tell you what you need to know is the person paying for it. It's his wood and his house, his choice of what's going to fly. Unless your refinishing it as well I wouldn't do any crack or hole filling. Leave that to those responsible for that aspect. You might think your helping, but in the end may not be the best choice for the finish they're using. If it were me I'd mill everything and let them do the rest.

good luck,
    JeffD

I have laid about 800 square feet of "country" hickory and a few of those pieces were pretty bad. Big holes or cracks. One was unfinished on an edge. My point is Bruce flooring puts some pretty bad pieces in the box. You might ask your client but you also might just give him the pieces and he or the installer can decide. I also cut around the flaws in several cases and used most of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    what are the options for filling larger gaps?
    Filling? Chop saw. The NHWF association has rules for different grades of flooring, what is acceptable, what should be defected. With country walnut, not much comes out unless it will take out a toe. I second Jeff's advise, mill it all, leave it in, let the customer and their installer decide what stays. Or produce a few samples and develop a guideline as to what stays and goes if you are doing the defecting during manufacture.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

This is a DIY remodel so he's going to be setting it, I may end up helping as well. I'm just wondering how big of gaps/holes are expedient to fill? Not sure what he's planning on finishing it with.

"With country walnut, not much comes out unless it will take out a toe." Surely you try and keep every thing pretty flush not?
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last