Thread: Mini Lathe Mobile Cabinet Build

Thumbs up Mini Lathe Mobile Cabinet Build

I got my Bonnie Klein (Taig) mini lathe about a month ago and put it to use for a few things here and there. It came mounted to a custom made box as seen in the first pic, but the problem with this was that I had to move it to my workbench to use it and changing the RPM via belt change, was a PITA as I had to unscrew the mounts on the motor, take off the mount, lift the motor and try to change the belt at the same time (seen in the 2nd attachment).

IMG_20150322_155913.jpgMotor_Mount.jpg

I decided to build a mobile cabinet that I can put in drawers to store all of my accessories, blanks and projects. I've got most of it put together now, so I figured I would post the build and how I made it easier to change the belt, etc.

Gluing up walnut edge trim to cabinet top and installed to cabinet
    IMG_20150407_012928.jpgIMG_20150407_091424.jpg

3" Casters mounted prior to being added to cabinet
    IMG_20150407_200817.jpg

Glad I went with the PM2800B and the 6" travel, made drilling the motor mounting holes into the top easy and straight
    IMG_20150408_225419.jpg

*Further pics/details in 2nd post*

Mounting of the Powertec 500lb. toggle clamp for holding down the motor and provide belt tensioning
    IMG_20150409_220418.jpgIMG_20150409_220341.jpg

Everything all mounted up
    IMG_20150410_124744.jpg

View of how the motor is mounted. The rubber stopper below the motor plate provides a stopper for it and also allows the toggle clamp to provide further pressure and dial in the belt tension.
    IMG_20150410_124756.jpgIMG_20150410_124849.jpgIMG_20150410_124904.jpg

Well, there it is. I still need to build the drawers, but I'm going to save that for another day so that I can get back to using the lathe as my wife's birthday is in a week and I need to get a few things turned for her.
    I'm also waiting for the paddle power switch, which I'll probably mount to the left side of the cabinet

What does everybody think?

Pretty nice set-up David. You did a great job.

Thanks. Overall, it's turned out pretty well so far. The only thing that I'm not happy about is the fact that I used 17 clamps to clamp up the top but still messed it up haha. Live and learn.

Nice work! Awesome idea on the toggle clamp.

My $0.02, not being familiar with your lathe, is to put that paddle switch on the right, (if the power switch is not arleady on the right side) so you don't have to reach around the work to switch the lathe off in an emergency. I know it's a tiny lathe, but you never know when something gets out of balance and flopping about, the last I would want to do is reach around and turn the lathe off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Nice work! Awesome idea on the toggle clamp.

My $0.02, not being familiar with your lathe, is to put that paddle switch on the right, (if the power switch is not arleady on the right side) so you don't have to reach around the work to switch the lathe off in an emergency. I know it's a tiny lathe, but you never know when something gets out of balance and flopping about, the last I would want to do is reach around and turn the lathe off.
    Good advice, thanks. It would make sense to have it on the right for the reasons you mentioned. It is small, so it should always be within reach. There will probably be more room on the right side to run the wiring to it as well.

As for the toggle clamp, I can't take credit for it, I found the concept over here: http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/taig_motor_mount.htm

I will take credit for executing it well though