Thread: How long is your dust collection hose?

How long is your dust collection hose?

For those of you who have workshops where you drag the one from one machine to another, how long is your hose?

I can buy the one I'm looking at at either 20' long or 50' long. I don't think 20' will be long enough. I'm curious if 50' would be too long for my 1.5 hp dust collector.

I have enough trouble storing and moving the 10' hose for my DC. How are you thinking of managing a 20' or 50' long 5" diameter hose?

10' for the general stuff and 5' for my CNC. My shop's in a typical 2-car garage so between the roll-around DC and the 10' hose I can reach everything easily.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    10' is a lot of hose IMHO. They make hose that is very smooth inside and can be used longer without the big performance hit but, it is expensive and does not collapse (accordion) much at all; quite stiff. Is the DC on wheels? This could help you stay with a shorter hose. I do understand that this may not work for your location.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ok, this isn't a proper answer but if you need a 50' hose, you most likely have a big enough shop to have a dedicated DC..... I'm in a 23x23 shop and have permanent lines to almost all machines. Just my 2 cents....
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I am in a 22x22 shop and get by with 2 hp Grizzly DC retrofitted with a Thien separator. I run one of those 4" collapsable hoses from Rockler that is rated at 20' a little over 10' to my jointer and planer. It adequately clears the chips. I know it isn't pulling in all the fines, so I also run a shop made air scrubber. Rather than run your hose 50', why not make your DC portable? Check out this design:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nn-conversions

You could stick with 10' length hoses and simply move the DC for your long runs. In the end, you likely will get very good chip collection, but probably not pulling enough cfm to collect all the fine dust.

I'm in a unique situation, I have a 3hp cyclone I built with Pentz plans in a 1 car garage packed with machines. Anything of size has to be dragged out into the driveway so permanent ducting isn't an option obviously. Not the most optimal, but I settled on a 25" 6" flex from Flexaust. Not the cheapest option but it's smooth inside and doesn't collapse so I'm not taking a huge hit on CFM. Flexaust sells 4" to 10" with free shipping with Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050IIIYC/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Mike