Thread: Completed Mantel

Completed Mantel

Here's some photos of a mantel I recently completed for a client. It was a fun project - very traditional, but something different for a change. It's built up from a combination of MDF and poplar - depending on what was best for the component at hand. The boxed legs and back-board are MDF, the fluted leg appliques and pediments are poplar, the top is poplar-edged MDF and the crown molding is MDF. Over all that I sprayed and sanded two coats of oil based primer, followed by two coats of Dunn Edwards Permashield acrylic satin. Sorry about the poor quality of the photos. They really lack the impact that the piece actually has on the room.

I also did the wood floors in the alcoves on either side of the mantel. From the builder, there were only drywall floors which the homeowner got tired of repainting every time he moved something. The new floors are maple ply with solid maple fronts. The built-in bookcase and stereo cabinet came with the house.

Another interesting part of the overall project was crown molding installation in the master bedroom. The crown molding had to be walked around the outside of curved wall with a 40" radius. That was interesting to say the least. I did it in 6 inch sections, much like you walk moldings around the rouned drywall corners out here only with larger pieces. Sorry, I forgot to take pics of that.

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike,
    It looks great. We built a mantel for our son's new home a year ago. It is a fun project. It always baffles me why a contractor would use sheetrock for a shelf. Seems like a "doh" to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory
    Mike,
    ..... It always baffles me why a contractor would use sheetrock for a shelf. Seems like a "doh" to me too.
    The shelf for my water heater in the gargae was made/covered in sheet rock. When I replaced the heater I had to cover it with a sheet of plywood since the heater was sinking into the sheetrock.

Mike great looking work. I realy like the looks of the mantel.

Great job on the mantel, it looks really good.

Richard

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Mike,

Go back and get pix.
    I want to see how you did that crown molding.
    Mantel and EC is looking great.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

That looks really great, Mike. Lot's of nice details, yet still very "clean".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Looks great Mike! The whole family will enjoy roasting marshmellows around it for years!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

nice work and it seems to really work with the rest of the room's other features. good job... hey do they use fireplaces in AZ?

lou

Mike ....I like that mantle! Simple clean lines with attention to detail. Great design and follow through!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....