Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot Workers make me shake my head

When they ask me if I need help I tell them "I'm all set thank you".

If I don't know what I'm looking for then I shouldn't be doing the project.

Mike,

I have found a sure fire way to get someone to help you at the orange box store. Find one of those big rolling ladder things and start walking up the stairs being sure to make a little noise. The employees have apparently been trained to stop customers from being on them ( most likely for liability reasons) and they will be at your side in seconds telling you that you cannot climb them. I acknowledge their presence and then ask them to help me find the item I am looking for!
    Always learning new things on SMC

For awhile, the local lumberyard in town had a 20-something running the panel saw and he had a difficult time remembering the difference between a rip and a cross cut.

I like to tell them I'm building a flux capacitor and I just really need help finding what I'm looking for. Some of them get inside joke then they say no really what are you doing. And when I tell them I'm building Rotary phase converter, I just love the look on their face. I tell them I need 600 V of electricity to run some of my tools. Some of them look at me like I have two heads. I get a kick out of it.

If you go a lot (and I do) you get to learn who to ask and who not to ask. Too often I'm staring an isle down, looking for something, and they ask if they can help. I tell them I'm looking for such and such, and more often than not, I get a glazed look back at me, as if I'm not talking English. So, I too have found it's best to limit my questions to "what isle are the whatever's on?" And, the whatever usually isn't the item I am looking for. For instance, I was looking for perforated strapping and metal foil tape the other day when I was hanging DC pipe. I simply asked "what isle is your duct work on?". That worked well.

Now, on your band saw, I'm with Phil. A 30 AMP circuit for a 10 AMP motor is a bit too much for my blood. Perhaps that is what the helper was trying to elude to in a failed way. Methinks I would be installing a 15 AMP 220V receptacle and plug. You can find them on the electrical isle. You can leave the wire in the wall, and just change out the breaker and receptacle.

Todd

I buy most of my dyi stuff at HD because they always give me a 10% vets discount--Lowe's doesn't. Their people are helpful if not expert but what do you expect given what HD has to do to make money.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

My experience basically mirrors what has been stated above, especially for Lowes. However, I have found some very knowledable "Associates" at HD that I make an effort to go back to for assistance. I think these people are the "Leaders" of the area they serve as they are much more helpful than the others that do a slow walk-around to kill time. Comparing HD with Lowes, I've found Lowes' Associates to be much less knowledgable than those at HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Well just stand back when you power it up, because one of these times it is going to splode.

You're feeding it 3x the amps it needs.

A very dangerous situation.
    Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm no electrician. Amps aren't "fed", they are drawn by the motor, right? 30amp breaker allows a maximum draw/pull of 30amps before it "pops". The motor could overload if not properly used and has to potential to receive 30amps, but under normal use, only draws 10amps from the line.

My shaper is 5hp and draws 25amps at full load. Circuit requirement according to the book is 40amp.
    -Lud

I once asked a guy at Lowes where I could find a block and tackle. I was told Lowes doesn't sell fishing gear.

That would be correct Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm no electrician. Amps aren't "fed", they are drawn by the motor, right? 30amp breaker allows a maximum draw/pull of 30amps before it "pops". The motor could overload if not properly used and has to potential to receive 30amps, but under normal use, only draws 10amps from the line.

My shaper is 5hp and draws 25amps at full load. Circuit requirement according to the book is 40amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post

Yep, you've got the logic. I'm pretty sure Phil's post was 100% sarcastic. :-)

Slightly off topic advice here: everybody who shops at HD regularly absolutely NEEDS to download the home depot app. You can select your store, search for what you need, and see of the have it in stock. If they do, it will tell you not only the aisle number, but the bin it's in.

You can also look up customer reviews on the product you're holding in your hand. That has helped me avoid buying junk products and has helped me buy the best thing when I have multiple options.

If you don't like interacting with the HD staff, the app really reduces those interactions.

So, DOWNLOAD THE APP! It's really great.

You don't even need the app. Just go online with a mobile device and you can get that information. At least on an Android device you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    You don't even need the app. Just go online with a mobile device and you can get that information. At least on an Android device you can.
    Yep, but the app is faster and better optimized for your phone.

Did you look at the list of things the APP need access to on your phone? Thank you...no.