Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the record: Lie-Neilsen Customer Support

For the record: Lie-Neilsen Customer Support

Just wanted to drive a stake in the ground.....

I had some questions about how to proceed on a difficult situation, which I have not faced before.

I contacted LN via email. Got a reply in short order. Confirmed half of my plan, and nudged me to back off the other half. Follow-up question, with another reply in short order, including a request to contact them again if I run into a situation where I am unclear.

Gotta love 'em.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Therapy, drug / alcohol issue or woodworking?

Mmmmmm, nice 'n vague and useful....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

For the record: Botha youse guys suck.

I am looking at planing some big $$$ curly maple, which I have not had to do in the past.

They were very helpful. And I just wanted that note to be in the cosmic consciousness - which is positively dripping with irony, because my situation has a clear hand-plane solution, but my right shoulder is shot, and Harold is working the Cosmic Tool Karma angle to get my hand planes to leave me, and....the more I think about it, I dunno why I am even concerned about how to proceed..........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

292.jpg
    Kent,
    Think router sled, then belt sander and finish with ROS (I use a Festool 1/2 sheet). I have a number of highly figured maple slabs that I surfaced this way. A lot easier on the body than pushing a hand plane.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 04-02-2015 at 9:31 PM.

If you were closer I'd probably try to get your planes to leave you too, but Atlanta... no they can stay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    For the record: Botha youse guys suck.

I am looking at planing some big $$$ curly maple, which I have not had to do in the past.

They were very helpful. And I just wanted that note to be in the cosmic consciousness - which is positively dripping with irony, because my situation has a clear hand-plane solution, but my right shoulder is shot, and Harold is working the Cosmic Tool Karma angle to get my hand planes to leave me, and....the more I think about it, I dunno why I am even concerned about how to proceed..........

Have you considered Japanese planes for your situation? Perhaps the pull versus push motion would be easier for you.

edit: I mean after surgery and recovery, and assuming you'll still need to be cautious.

I can also vouche for lie Nielsons Cs,I dropped my block plane and bent the screw mechanism,I called to ask for a new part.They said just send it back,They fixed it for free.
    just so you know how dense I can be I spent several hour last week trying to figure out why my smoothing plane wouldn't cut.I almost called lie Nielsons Cs.
    I finally discovered the blade has been Sharpend to its last bit of travel.I spend too much time looking for pencils and fiddling.And that's why I don't make videos of me woodworking.

Blog Entries
    because my situation has a clear hand-plane solution, but my right shoulder is shot
    My right shoulder gives me trouble at times. When that happens I go lefty.

My LN #62 was purchased because of my shoulder's reaction to using a shooting board with a bench plane. There is a lot to be said for its ability to lessen the force needed to shoot end grain.

Most of the time my work is done right handed, being able to switch helps on those days my shoulder is trying to kill me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My right hand is pretty well hosed. It is remarkably easy to plane left handed. I even learned to use a plow with a pulling motion.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Therapy, drug / alcohol issue or woodworking?
    I like you Bill.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My right shoulder gives me trouble at times. When that happens I go lefty..........being able to switch helps on those days my shoulder is trying to kill me.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    My right hand is pretty well hosed. It is remarkably easy to plane left handed. I even learned to use a plow with a pulling motion.
    Jim & Paul............

Thanks. I was wondering about that - hadn't gotten around to trying it yeet. Good to know.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Jim & Paul............

Thanks. I was wondering about that - hadn't gotten around to trying it yeet. Good to know.

Kent
    Is it a complaint about LN service or a belated April 1st joke? LN owes us no obligations to tell us how to deal with a technique issue. Was the first post written under the influence? LN isn't a hand tool babysitter.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Before;

After:

45 degree pitch, .010" depth chipbreaker with a 50 degree leading edge.

Does the same on curly maple I just dont have any glossy color photos of the before/after.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 04-04-2015 at 12:35 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    My 2002 vintage LN dovetail saw had a split in the tote. One day, I decided I was too fond of the saw to let that situation continue. I called LN and ordered a new tote for the saw. They sent me a new tote and refused to take payment for it.

While I was at it, I ordered and payed for a dowel plate. They shipped it free since they were shipping the tote anyway.

I have other LN saws, planes, and chisels and they are all top quality.