Thread: Another HF - To pedestal or not to pedestal

Another HF - To pedestal or not to pedestal

Here's another form I just finished and I had both of these on the bench scratching my head a while. I didn't go with a pedestal on this one as it's more slender with less curve and easy to view top to bottom. The other one was short and stubby and when viewing, with the sharper curve, I couldn't see the bottom as well unless I got down to eye level. Those are my reasons, but the real question is what do you look for when deciding to use a pedestal? If you go with a pedestal, how do you determine how tall? I have included my last form to get the side by side look.

Overall, 10 1/2" tall X 6 1/4" wide
    Aspen Hollow with Poplar, dyed black finial, finished in lacquer.

Comments & Critiques always welcome. It will help me and others to learn too, so thank you in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

I'm certainly no expert. As I am still learning myself but I like the one without the pedestal much better. To me it looks more "balanced."
    Nice job regardless, I like them a lot.

Im the exact opposite. I like them both but the one with the pedestal is just awesome!

Very nice work. I vote for "without."
    WOOD SNIPER-Start off slow, then taper off

I like the one with the pedestal. That form has a nice curve from top to bottom. The other form, the bottom is too flat from my perspective. Most of the time when you do a HF you want the bottom so that it appears to be floating on the table surface. Also on the HF with three rings the shoulder has a very angular look and not a smooth flowing curve. You can see the difference in the flowing curve in the other HF. It also appears to be better balanced, ie the golden rule--from the widest part of the form to the top is 1/3 of total height and from the should to the bottom is 2/3 of the total height. If you look at a lot of pictures of HF you will notice the ones that really appeal to you are those that follow the golden rule and that have a rounded more curved bottom. Good luck and keep up the good work.

I like it without pedestal. I'm not a turner. I note that because it seems turners always like that precarious look more than
    non turners. Perhaps if I started turning I would see the error in my view, meanwhile I'm convinced that a more secure footing
    presents a safer investment in the eyes of buyers.

OK, here's my take:

The second one sets too solid on the table. It needs more curve toward the bottom and possibly the bottom edge rolled in. A pedestal might help fix that. This is a decent piece, but not great.

The first one (shown on the pedistal) works either way and while the pedestal adds some height and interest, I do not feel it is needed and in my opinion takes away from the form of the HF itself. This is an outstanding piece.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Steve, this is another beautiful piece of wood. The finish is, again, excellent. I like the transition from the form to the finial in this one better than the other, but the one on the pedestal is far more pleasing to my eye. I think Thom is right about the bottom, but even if you had done that, I would prefer the other one.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Steve; your reasons to use a pedestal are perfectly valid to me. IMO, pieces that will get a pedestal or finial need that decision before turning so that provision can be made to blend the pedestal or finial into the form. The height and final shape of pedestal (or finial) can be either planned or designed after the main form is done.

Of the two HFs, my personal preference is for the one on a pedestal. The proportions of the piece without a pedestal seem a little off to me. I would like it better with a shorter finial and smaller base. I do really like how the form transitions into the finial and the narrow accent lines.

Beautiful piece. The wood is great. As far as form, the bottom is not tucked under, so sitting on a table, it doesn't look raised from the table. This is one reason I think it looks better on the pedestal. I like it on the pedestal anyway.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

For me the one on the pedestal is the one that shows more flowing lines and really accentuates the form of the piece,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Just a little past the "Best Before" date.

Thanks for all the input on this. On the second form, it has been pointed out several times and also by my mentor that the base is too wide, and if it was more narrow (like 33% rather than 45%) it
    would force the curve inward at the bottom. The first form has the more pleasing curve without question, pedestal or not. Again, thanks for all the input on this!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper