Thread: Health safety - Dust masks and collection

Health safety - Dust masks and collection

I have a beginner's question about health safety around dust. I am an occasional woodworker now. I would like to increase the amount of projects I do, but will need to invest in dust collection and air filtering.

I have read various articles (including Bill Pentz' site) about dust collection and the very harmful effects of dust. I currently have no dust collection or air filtering, other than an open garage door in good weather or a small exhaust fan in cold weather. I wear a high quality 3M mask with P100 filters.

1. When specifying an adequate dust collection system, is this based on the woodworker not wearing any respiratory protection?

2. Does everybody need a large cyclone dust collector, especially if wearing a quality mask?

I am trying to keep my equipment investment reasonable, but I'm not trying to fool myself about adequate respiratory protection either.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Tim Burke; 08-05-2005 at 9:14 AM. Reason: clarify my main questions

Welcome to the creek, always good to meet another Iowa woodworker! The dust that the dust collectors dont get is the worst. Anything PM10 or less is what is really bad for your lungs, so I dont think it would hurt to wear a P100 even when using a dust collection system.
    Scott

Tim, if you got anything from Bill's material it should be that the more you can collect at the tool, the safer you will be with or without a mask. Therefore, the more substantial and efficent your collection system is, the better. Properly designed and implemented cyclones (and that includes the duct to and hood design at the tool) do a very good good job at separating most material, even fines, out of the airstream. Good filters rated at .5 micron or better further enhance their efficiency. There are other types of collectors that work well, such as the Felder design, but they can also be considerably more expensive. Retrofitting a single stage collector with better filtration helps, but the design of these machines leaves many chances for leakage as well as difficult emptying/cleaning.

Honestly, I'd rather see someone buy good quality, but lesser capacity tools, if that is what is necessary to afford putting in a good dust collection system. It's that important.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tim, That's a very good and thought provoking question you have there. I was just thinking about this the other day. It seems to me that whatever dust collection you use there is going to be some dust in the air. I don't think any dust collection is perfect. So for some operations it's wise to use good lung protection, i.e. respirator. I work in my basement and can see dust in the air even when using my dust collector.

With most machines you won't get perfect collection no matter what you do. Take my MiniMax bandsaw for instance. There's a lot of open area under the table that makes perfect dust collection impossible for me. I can see dust in the air even when using the DC. Granted I don't own a cyclone but then a lot of people don't. So I say use a good mask and be as safe as possible with your lungs. We see what happens when you don't. Nobody knows what level of dust in the shop causes serious problems down the road. For some it may take a lot and for others very little.

Don't take this as meaning I don't think dust collection is good in the shop. I say get the biggest and most effecient one available that will fit in the budget. Just protect those lungs any way you have to including dust collectors and/or respirators or masks.

Sorry for the long ramble. Have a great day.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Tim.

The issue of the necessity for dust collection is always debated, and probably always will be.
    The severity of the individual reaction to dust particles in the air is subjective, ie. the level of irritants in the air that bother me, may not bother you. It is the levels of material in the air so fine that we don't notice them right away that are the problem.
    The human body has a number of defensive to deal with airborne irritants, nasal membranes, cilia, the ability to cough etc. Some particles are fine enough that they pass by these defenses and collect in the lungs, specifically the Alevoi(sp?) section. This is the section of your lungs that makes the nice clean Oxygen and puts it into your system. Once again the individual tolerance is subjective, and may be partially genetic. The effects of these particles accumulating over time may take decades to manifest themself in the form of an ailment or even a disease. In the case of Bill Pentz this is what may have contributed to his current condition.
    Additionally some wood species are especially noted for havein immediate physical reactions. In my case Mahogany dust makes my lips, mouth, nose , and the front of my face numb, but it may not bother you at all, ergo I don't work with Mahagony any longer. Interestingly enough, Jatoba presents no immediate issues.

It's in everyones best interest to minimize the impact of this accumulation of particulates in the system. Does this mean that you need the "cadillac" version of DC to be effective? Maybe not. A cyclone seperator system is probably the best system that can be, within reason, available to the average woodworker, and shop. If you can afford a cyclone systen you are way ahead of the curve. If this type of system is out of the price range, a Dust collector with retrofitted Wynn's cartridges, or filter bags from American Fabric and Felt that are rated to < 1 micron is an alternative. Even with all of these option there will still be some measureable quanity of airborne particulates. The efficiency of the shop dust collection system can be enhanced with an active air exchange filter unit.
    There will always be dust in a woodshop, it's minimizing the measurable risk that you are trying to achieve.
    I use a 2HP dust collector with retrofitted bags, and the unit is located outside of the shop. I still use a dust mask at times and have a Fein vacuum with a 1 micron filter.
    Protect your lungs, if all this "dust collection nonsense" is just that, the most you are out is a few hundred bucks, if it's not nonsense though...

What brand/model of dust collector do you use Mike? I am considering upgrading my system. Of course trying to balance cost and space is always an issue. I cannot afford the best, but I am trying to find a good compromise.

Thanks
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler
    Tim.

The issue of the necessity for dust collection is always debated, and probably always will be.
    The severity of the individual reaction to dust particles in the air is subjective, ie. the level of irritants in the air that bother me, may not bother you. It is the levels of material in the air so fine that we don't notice them right away that are the problem.
    The human body has a number of defensive to deal with airborne irritants, nasal membranes, cilia, the ability to cough etc. Some particles are fine enough that they pass by these defenses and collect in the lungs, specifically the Alevoi(sp?) section. This is the section of your lungs that makes the nice clean Oxygen and puts it into your system. Once again the individual tolerance is subjective, and may be partially genetic. The effects of these particles accumulating over time may take decades to manifest themself in the form of an ailment or even a disease. In the case of Bill Pentz this is what may have contributed to his current condition.
    Additionally some wood species are especially noted for havein immediate physical reactions. In my case Mahogany dust makes my lips, mouth, nose , and the front of my face numb, but it may not bother you at all, ergo I don't work with Mahagony any longer. Interestingly enough, Jatoba presents no immediate issues.

It's in everyones best interest to minimize the impact of this accumulation of particulates in the system. Does this mean that you need the "cadillac" version of DC to be effective? Maybe not. A cyclone seperator system is probably the best system that can be, within reason, available to the average woodworker, and shop. If you can afford a cyclone systen you are way ahead of the curve. If this type of system is out of the price range, a Dust collector with retrofitted Wynn's cartridges, or filter bags from American Fabric and Felt that are rated to < 1 micron is an alternative. Even with all of these option there will still be some measureable quanity of airborne particulates. The efficiency of the shop dust collection system can be enhanced with an active air exchange filter unit.
    There will always be dust in a woodshop, it's minimizing the measurable risk that you are trying to achieve.
    I use a 2HP dust collector with retrofitted bags, and the unit is located outside of the shop. I still use a dust mask at times and have a Fein vacuum with a 1 micron filter.
    Protect your lungs, if all this "dust collection nonsense" is just that, the most you are out is a few hundred bucks, if it's not nonsense though...

John. I have a Jet DC1200, and a DC1100 Both have the replacement bag filters. I've seen the retrofit kit from Wynn and that looks pretty slick. I also am looking at the seperate cyclone seperator stage that was brought up in the DC/Cyclone upgrade thread, by Andy Howard, currently being discussed on the forum.
    Like most folks I have a smallish shop with low ceilings, and a conventional cyclone just wouldn't fit. I'd prefer to have a "permanent" cyclone system, but for right now what I've got is suiting my needs, and If I retrofit the cyclone seperator as per the thread by Andy Howard. I think that will address the long term solution for me, especially if it makes discarding the accumulated dust easier.