Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready to Die....at 64.....

Ready to Die....at 64.....

Met a man selling of the remnants of his material things to get ready to die. Said his health was fine but at his age you could go at any second. He was 64.... He was mentally ready to go. Amazed me.

I'm sad for him. There are very few people that mortality isn't bothersome, but that seems a bit drastic. My grandfather is 98 and my grandmother 97. At 64 he was still anxiously awaiting the next issue of Popular Mechanics and making things in his basement shop. He only gave things away when he was downsizing and moving down south into a double wide. Was all about practicality and nothing to do with mortality.

Some people are born pessimistic, it is like some people can't wait to get married and have a dozen children. I failed at that one as well.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Perhaps he realized there was more to life than "stuff." We plan to rent the house out for a few years after I retire and just sail the oceans blue. The greatest moments of our lives have been our world travels.

Geeze, I just turned 65 last month and to celebrate I purchased a new lathe and table saw. Hopefully I've still got a lot of "living" in me.

Wish I had run into him and he was selling some high quality tools cheap

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Malcolm, he was talking about going to the "home" in preparation to die. Plans on moving into the "home" next year when old enough. He didn't have much to sell.

Blog Entries
    That is just plain sad. I'm 67 and hoping I can keep using my toys (boats, Jeep, snowmobile, shop stuff) for another 20 years.
    NOW you tell me...

We'd be running short on members here if 64 was at death's door. A few of you folks are that old.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Met a man selling of the remnants of his material things to get ready to die. Said his health was fine but at his age you could go at any second. He was 64.... He was mentally ready to go. Amazed me.
    Rich- This gives me the heebie-jeebies............. Something seems "not right" to me.

If you know this gentleman, you might see if there is a way to nudge him toward his physician. Failing that, consider talking to your local law enforcement people - they should be able to send someone non-threatening around to talk with him and evaluate him.

When people have decided to throw in the towel - or to prepare in advance for that day - that can be a harbinger of an illness that is treatable. But - only by the professionals.

Absolutely, unquestionably, clear-headed people can quickly develop problems which are treatable. If they get the treatment. I have known a couple success stories in this arena, and am relieved that I have not known any stories that ended badly. But - they could have.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I suspect he is simply not telling you everything.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

It's his life and his body, it ought to be up to him how long he wants to live.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I suspect he is simply not telling you everything.
    My thoughts... not everyone wants to share their troubles, so it's easier to put on a happy face and get on with it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Could be also that with his family history he doesn't have good odds of living past mid 60's....

Several years ago, right around the time my dad turned 70, he and my mom decided they weren't going to live much longer. This is now a topic of conversation every time I visit, right after we go through the list of recent deaths of folks younger than them. They got rid of everything they didn't "need", put everything in my name, paid for the funerals and the burial plot. As a matter of fact, somewhere around here is my version of the day we went to visit The Plot and they wanted me to pick my spot, but I digress. Every day they get up and go about their business, but everything is ready just in case. I was really upset about all this for a while, but my parents have always been extremely practical people and I suppose, as their deaths are inevitable, that I should be thankful that everything is taken care of in advance. Well, with the exception of daddy's bottle collection. We still haven't gotten around to going through that so that I can "pick the ones I want". Last time I was home I told him to just give me all of them and I'd sort them out later.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra