Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jumped off the deep end

If you are going to sell the saws you should be able to generate enough money to pay for the whole mess. Nice grab. I would clean up the saws you will get more for them if you do. The planes are a mixed bag. They all depend on condition, scarcity, and market. I sure would like to be in your shoes. By the way YOU SUCK!

Chuck

Nice haul!
    The DE 8 is the equivalent of the Stanley No. 8, their largest jointer plane.DE or Diamond Edge, was a trademark of the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis. The plane itself was probably made for Shapleigh by Stanley, Sargeant ,or another plane maker of the time.Unfortunately, yours has some problems. The hang hole in the toe is a drawback to collectors, and I think that the hard rubber handle is broken. Both of those defects reduce the value of the plane to a collector.
    Most of the other tools I see in your photos seem to be user rather than collector items. Most of the bench planes seem to be Stanley No. 5's or 5-1/2's. They are pretty common, and some have broken handles. My advice would to learn what type they are, and make up as many complete ones as you can.Keep what you want, and clean, sharpen, and sell the rest of them as users, emphasizing their cleanliness and sharpness. However, don't repaint them or attempt to flatten the sole. Let the buyer do that, if they want to.
    The block planes seem to be the Stanley all-steel No. 118, not all that desirable to a collector. They make nice users, though. I used to have one in my tool box. Since they are all-steel, they don't break if you drop them on to concrete.I'd clean and sharpen them and sell them as users.
    I agree with Chuck about the saws. Clean them up and make sure the ones you sell have straight blades.
    The router plane and the scrapers can probably be sold as is. The lathe tools are high-carbon steel, not the currently fashionable high-speed steel. I would clean them up,re-grind them with a nice clean bevel and sharpen them. I think I'd try to put them together in sets and sell them that way first.
    You have a lot of good tools with a lot of potential. Good luck with them!
    Rick

Planning on selling what you don't want I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hutchinson477 View Post
    Planning on selling what you don't want I assume?
    Yeah, basically they're all 5's & 118's plus the 8, router, and scrapers. Same on the saws a bunch of D-8s and D-23s so I'll probably end up keeping a couple and selling the rest. Right now I'm really busy with work ( good thing as I'm starting up my own cabinet/furniture shop) so it may be a bit before I start selling them. Thanks for all the info so far!
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last