Thread: Stripper recommendation

Stripper recommendation

I have to strip a walnut table top which I finished with danish oil and then 3 coats of cross-linked Target em2000. Does anyone have a recommendation for a stripper that will work well with both the topcoat and the oil? This is the first time I've had to strip a finish- I have read that high-pH strippers work best for WB finishes, but will this work for the oil as well?

I will be refinishing with the same schedule following a repair.

Thanks
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Kleanstrip Premium stripper will take off most any woodworking finish, both WB and OB. However, I doubt any stripper will remove whatever oil soaked down into the wood, it's in the wood and probably will be no matter what.

John

thanks john. i realize oil has been absorbed, i just want to get off as much as possible. I believe i sanded and/or scraped too heavily in one spot after oiling and before topcoating, and it resulted in an area that is noticeably different in color. I think that once its stripped and re-sanded, a new oil coat will restore an even tone.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

The most powerful strippers are methylene chloride based. It's pretty heavy so a simple test in the stripper display is to choose the heaviest container. Remember that this stuff is toxic so you need really good ventilation, and protection splashes.

Steve, Kleanstrip Premium is methylene chloride based; removes darned near anything.

John

Shucks, I thought someone was having a Bachelor Party.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I called up Kleanstrip to get a little more info but unfortunately the tech was really unhelpful and not knowledgeable at all, which turned me off from their product.

Ended up going with Savogran 5f5 which seems to have done a good job, even with much of the oil in the wood.

Sorry to mislead you Prashun
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Despite the incompetence of whomever you talked with Kleanstrip Premium is really good stuff. There's nothing more to using it than following the directions on the can.

John

I believe you, John. It's just critical that this piece be fixed well and fixed quickly, and since I've not stripped finish before I wanted a little guidance from the manufacturer. Maybe I'll try Kleanstrip next time, when i'm not in such a bind.

Turns out Savogran is also a local company, which is always nice.

Thanks for your help
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA