Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought me a tractor

Bought me a tractor

I haven't paid for it yet, but I've put claim to it. It's a project. Guy said it was a Ford 9N, but the wheels/hubs are 8N vintage. Perhaps a 2N. Flathead 4 cylinder. He said it needs a magneto and a carb rebuild. (Carb is off, hood and Grill are off, one flat tire, two new tires - lots of surface rust). Needs an over run clutch installed. I'll get a rear blade and a shredder for it and use it for driveway maint and mowing the tall grass.

I'll pick it up next week. $300. Pictures later. Forgot to snap one this evening when I went to look at it. Should be a fun project.

Todd

Learned to "drive" on one of those! One of my favourites and looking forward to pictures.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I've got a '48 8n. A great tractor to have. I even mow the grass with a 6' finish mower behind it. Love my tractor.

Red
    RED

Those are good little tractors. Used to borrow one from the neighbor to clean out a barn because it was small and maneuverable. Have fun! Do you have a source for the parts?

Still holding its value pretty good. According to Wikipedia they sold for $595 brand new back in the day.

In running condition N's go ~$2000, and parts are available everywhere. If you have the 4 speed transmission and the 8n rear wheels, it's an 8n. You definitely have your work cut out for you but should be a good time. I have a 9n, '48 8n, and a '59 801.
    Enjoy
    Chuck

Those are great little tractors, I spend a lot of time on them back 1960 - 1964 when I work at a marina in Kansas City on the Missouri river. We used it to put boats in and out of the river and store them in the shad.

Then it was used to do all the mowing and all other general work around the place.

Have fun bringing it back to life....

Blog Entries
    I first drove on my grand dad's '47 Farmall Cub. Later I had the pleasure to drive another one at a club retreat mowing grass and plowing snow.

NOW you tell me...

Another project!!! Look forward to the rebuild thread.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

If you need parts or just some advice Derek is your man. His store has all the parts. I take my 8n there for any service that I don't/can't do myself.

http://www.just8ns.com/

Red
    Last edited by Randy Red Bemont; 04-10-2015 at 2:35 PM.
    RED

OK, got some pictures!! I Looked up the serial #, and it's a '49 8N. Does not have a magneto, but does have the combined distributor/coil in the front of the engine.

And, we do have the obligatory weed growing out of the front end.

DSC_8099.jpg DSC_8098.jpg DSC_8095.jpg

DSC_8108.jpg DSC_8103.jpg DSC_8101.jpg

oh man. i helped a neighbor do a rebuild on one of these a few yrs ago, including a convert to 12V. this baby is gonna need some TLC. good luck!

Seems like those old Fords just always need work. Wonder if running synthetic motor oil would help? I knew a kid once whose dad restored antique cars. He used modern detergent motor oil, and it made them last longer.

It's obvious that you have lots of work ahead, but for the life of me, I cannot believe you paid $300 for a tractor without a radiator cap! Have fun and hopefully you can find a good deal on a used cap!

Looks like you need a new seat and a radiator cap, other than that - bolt the hood back on and you're ready to go. Looks pretty good. For $300 looks real good.
    Chuck