Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer won't run - is motor "bad"?

Planer won't run - is motor "bad"?

Hi All - I bought a 60s-70s era Parks 12" planer ... yes, without hearing it run (no plug available ... long story ... etc.) Caveat emptor, I know. Anyway ... it looks like it was well taken care of, fairly clean, no gouges on the table or apparent knife accidents. Bearings are tight. Was told it ran the last time it was plugged in - which was years ago.
    Makes a sound like it's trying to run when power is applied, but no go. I tried bypassing the magnetic switch - direct 230 volts to the motor - but still no go. Tried spinning the pulley while applying power - still no go.
    This is a big 184 frame 2 hp 230v Baldor industrial motor, mounted in the cast iron base. I guess I'll have to heave this thing out of there and check things out. Any suggestions or ideas what might be wrong? I'll clean it, of course. Check the wire connections. I'm bummed because I figured it was a bad capacitor, but shouldn't it have run when I spun the pulley, if it was a bad capacitor? What else can go wrong on these?

You are sure it isn't three phase? Dave

Parks configuration is such that the motor could easily be replaced with a single-phase. Or, should it turn out to be a 3-phase, planers have a relatively low startup inertia and so are reasonable candidates for a dedicated VFD ... which for 2 hp are reasonably inexpensive.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for a possible 3PH motor. Easy enough to check on the motor plate. If it is single phase we will dive deeper ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If it is a three phase motor it will run on single phase. Remove the v-belt, spin the pulley (either with your foot or wrap a rope like an old lawnmower) and turn on the power. If you spun it in the proper direction it should run.

IMG_20150410_152113.jpgIt's a single phase motor - wired for 230 v.
    Last edited by Tom Deutsch; 04-11-2015 at 1:14 PM.

I'd take it to a motor shop and have it checked out. See what the repair costs and if the motor is fried. Then you can negotiate with seller. That is a nice motor. 184 is generally a 5 hp. Hopefully it won't cost an arm or leg. Large frame motors seldom fail if the bearings don't go bad. Dave

I'll try cleaning it before I put my arm and leg in play at a service center. Anything I should look for?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Deutsch View Post
    I'll try cleaning it before I put my arm and leg in play at a service center. Anything I should look for?
    I'm mainly a three phase guy so no help with capacitors. Whatever happens you will want to stay with the large frame 184 motor. Don't get talked into a smaller frame with different pulleys. Dave

Hi Tom,
    Congrats -- I think-- on the Parks (and recreation!!). I had one for 10 + years and had great performance with it. Look up Robert Vaughan(sp) for his video for a Parks tune up. Shows all you need to know about maintaining and adjusting the machine. I think he is a contributor on SMC as well. I may still have a copy of the info sheet/mini-manual. Let me know if you need it and I'll see if I saved a copy. John.

+1 on checking both your capacitors, and also you might take a gander at the centrifugal switch. Jess who has worked on too many ww motors here as of late....
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

OK, I took the motor out and apart. All the wiring looked fine. The capacitor hadn't leaked or bulged. (Any way to check the capacitor?)
    I cleaned up the "points" on the little brass contact switch arms (they were maybe just a little oxidized). The mechanism I suppose is the centrifugal switch looks ok and seems to move correctly. The only things that seemed odd were the strange contorted little fangs on the fan end of the motor. See pics. Are these aluminum or ? Something soft fer sher - I bent them back as straight as possible. Dunno if that's going to help or not.
    Looking at the pics - anything else I ought to check or replace before I reassemble and cross my fingers?
    motor_inside1.jpgmotor_inside2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    If it is a three phase motor it will run on single phase. Remove the v-belt, spin the pulley (either with your foot or wrap a rope like an old lawnmower) and turn on the power. If you spun it in the proper direction it should run.
    It will run, but it's really bad for the motor & it will not make near it's rated power.

Those motors can come with a thermal overload switch. You can reset it if your motor has one.

Larry

Yesterday I replaced a defective capacitor on my water pump. Pump just hummed and did not turn. Capacitor looked perfect from the outside. Cost about $15US and took 5 minutes to change.

MK