Thread: New Sawtill

New Sawtill

I've used a couple of the techniques you guys keep talking about and I built this sawtill to hold my backsaws...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats REALLY nice, Tim!! (I wish I had a wall to hang something like that!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sweet, very sweet.

I am starting a wall cabinet for my hand tools and I will incorporate your solution for my handsaws. Thanks for posting.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Nice melding of form and function!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Tim,

VERY nice job. I like the dovetail work also. That's quite a nice saw collection too.

That looks great. Maybe one day I will be fortunate enough to have enough saws for something like that, I just ordered my first saw last week.
    Jim

Very Nice! What kind of wood did you use - and what kind of finish? Did you design that yourself or did you find the desgn somewhere. (Details, man, details ). If you're anything like I am though, you'll wish you had made it bigger. My sawtill holds 12 saws, so right now I have about 10 more saws waiting for a nice place to be stored...

8. Very pleasant, Tim.

Like Jim, if only I had the wall space...

Mike

Very nice! love the handcut dovetails. A wonderful addition to your shop. No drawer pull ?

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Raasch
    Very Nice! What kind of wood did you use - and what kind of finish? Did you design that yourself or did you find the desgn somewhere. (Details, man, details ). If you're anything like I am though, you'll wish you had made it bigger. My sawtill holds 12 saws, so right now I have about 10 more saws waiting for a nice place to be stored...

I was cruising the neighborhood with my dog one afternoon so he could do his business and we walked past a house that was throwing out a solid mahagony table. I couldn't believe it. I walked the dog back home as fast as possible, woke up the boychild, and drove to the house to pick up the table. It was 4 feet wide and 5 feet long, 5/4 solid hondouras mahagony. Holy smokes...What a find!

I used about 1/2 of that table top to build the sawtill. I struggled with how many saws it should hold. Knowing me, eight is probably not enough, but I thought the proportions looked nice. If I were to do it again, I'd make the drawer shorter. It holds a couple of sawsets and a file. It doesn't need to be so tall.

The finish is just your basic tung oil from Ace Hardware...nothing special there.

Here is where I got the idea for the plan. http://www.shavings.net/sawtill.html
    As you can see, I changed up the plans some to fit my needs.

Somehow I got this far and now I can't figure out what to do for a drawer pull. I have this piece of spalted apple that I was going to use, but I haven't quite figured out exactly what I want yet. I'm sure it'll come soon.

Thanks for the kind comments.

I was cruising the neighborhood with my dog one afternoon so he could do his business and we walked past a house that was throwing out a solid mahagony table.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

WOW when you see stuff like that around here being thrown out it is usually some crappy 50's piece with dark veneer over particle board.

Looks very good Tim you have done well, I was curious as to whether the saws were old, new, Diston, interested people want to know?
    Last edited by James Mittlefehldt; 08-07-2005 at 1:45 PM.

What a great wood find! And I'm glad to see you put it to good use. I like the basic finish - I most always use just BLO and shellac.

I'm also with you on the drawer pull. I built my till in May and it still doesn't have a drawer pull.

Again, really nice job Tim- and thanks for sharing the details with us.

Tim,
    Well done. I especially like the addition of the top piece, it makes a nice little shelf for some more storage!

Tom--wishing I had more wall space as well

Great job Tim. Since you mentioned making the drawer "too tall", you might want to consider a modification. Insert a piece of wood about half of the height of the drawer and the full length on each side (inside the drawer) and make a sliding till to fit inside. That will add a good bit more usable space without your having to pile stuff deep and dig through it to find things.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Just beautiful, Leo. You get extra points for not just recycling someone else's trash, but having the wherewithall to recognize that cellulose gold when you saw it.

That concave recess on the drawer front really caught my eye. That and the spacing of the dovetails are nice details.

Since you're at an impass on the drawer pull, may I make a suggestion? Turn a recess in the front of the knob you make with that spalted applewood, and set a Disston or some other interesting saw medallion into it. That nifty circular concavity will naturally draw the eye to the drawer knob, so it should have some ornamentation.
    Marc