Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks, Bought an "Old Green Tractor"

Her husband offered the tractor with all the accessories to me for one cent when he was living. He just never told what it was. Guess he figured he like friends more than money. They have no children.

I'm glad you got it, but I have tractor envy even as much as I love mine.

they're going on the used mkt for 25-27.5k before you put on the blade. $500 is insane. yowza.

I paid a penny over $500. The neighbor said it wasn't worth a penny more. Guess the wife wanted to prove a point. She just called to say the neighbor was upset she sold it and furious when she disclosed the amount.

sounds like the neighbor was trying to rip her off. glad it's gone to a good home. you'll have a blast learning how to use this thing. well done.

Since you are new to this, ask before you buy any implements. The right sized box blade for that is 7', and not a light duty one. It will probably pull an 8 footer fine, but a 7 footer should be a little wider than the wheel width, and allow you to cut some with it. I expect it has a Category 2 hitch like mine.

Did that grading blade come with it too? I'm not real familiar with that model, so I can't tell by the rear picture how many remotes it has. How many levers are beside the seat, not including the loader control?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Did that grading blade come with it too? I'm not real familiar with that model, so I can't tell by the rear picture how many remotes it has. How many levers are beside the seat, not including the loader control?
    I will take more pictures tomorrow. Hopefully the wife won't want it to be repainted pink.

Nice tractor Rich. Taken care of, it'll last your lifetime.

I think the lady you got it from may have more of an idea what it's worth than being given credit for. If she tweaked the guy's nose that offered her $500.00, with a check for $500.01, she was proving a point to him!

if she knew her husband had offered it to you for a penny when he was alive, and I'm sure she did, she was just completing something that was important to him while he was alive.

Better to be on the hook for the taxes on $500.01, with a bill of sale, than the taxes for a $25K "gift".
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 04-11-2015 at 9:22 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Would be worth $25k up here depending on hours and assuming it runs. But for sure the rear blade would go for $750-1,000 depending on what model. The wheel weights along would probably fetch $500 on Craigslist. I'm not even sure how I feel about this?

After that last thread you posted and all us tracotr guys chimed in, you may not know how to run it, but you had to know it was at least worth several thousand dollars.

I have to assume she was rewarding you for the many years of free handyman services to the elderly, an admirable use of spare time, hats off! But unless she is a complete shut in there is no way she could have possibly thought that it was worth $500, no way can I believe that. Nobody is that out of touch.

Arrange snow removal for your benafactress.

Stipulate that all the snow removed from her drive
    is to be deposited on "Mr. Not worth more than $500" curb.

'Old Green Tractor'? that one is bigger than most of the plows my Town uses.

I think she needs to win a vacation to some wonderful place.

Nice tractor, but I could not sleep at night if I made that deal. I'd have to figure out a way to clear my conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I think she needs to win a vacation to some wonderful place.

Nice tractor, but I could not sleep at night if I made that deal. I'd have to figure out a way to clear my conscience.
    I talked to her this morning and told her the value. She laughed and said that was more or less an inheritance gift. The couple is quite wealthy and she doesn't lack for money. Guess she is giving away many things. She gave another friend her husband's car, another all his cameras and photography equipment, etc. She charges everyone a nominal fee so that they don't have to pay a lofty inheritance tax from her statements.

It hasn't been said, so I'll say it. You suck!

That is an awesome relationship you had with her late husband and you have with her. Very well done.

Like others have said - anything she needs - you be there.

Todd

What a blessing! Enjoy the new toyl and be safe! (And, I agree with everything Todd said, but since it's Sunday, I won't repeat it. )
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore