Thread: Spraying GF Enduro-Var Problem

Spraying GF Enduro-Var Problem

To begin with, I am new to HVLP spraying. I have sprayed GF High Performance only. I decided to try Endure-Var and had a problem.

I sprayed a first coat with no problems. On the second coat I had extreme dimples/cratering (I'll call it) on a couple of doors. The other doors turned out fine. Even after drying you can see the dimpling. It's like a contaminate got on the doors. The doors were in my shop, drying from the first coat, overnight. So, I can't see contamination.

IMG_1124.jpg

The doors are made from HD ply. The funny thing about the ply was there were areas that looked like the wood fibers were standing up. It took a lot of sanding to get this cleared off.

The second coat was from a different, new, container of GF EV.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 04-11-2015 at 10:05 PM.

I have a lot more trouble with EnduroVar than HP Poly, too. HP Poly is about the easiest thing to spray, very forgiving. Thin coats, thick coats, most anything levels out and dries nice and flat. EnduroVar always gives me orange peel unless I spray it very heavy, just short of running on vertical surfaces. That's the only way I can get it to self level. But your door looks like you sprayed a pretty heavy coat so my only other guess is your sandpaper had something on it that didn't play nice with EnduroVar. If you only sanded the doors that had the problem then that would be pretty strong evidence that's where the problem is.

FWIW, I almost never use EnduroVar since I discovered Enduro Clear Poly. ECP sprays as easily as HP Poly and has about the same chemical durability of EV. If I want it to have that slightly amber look the EV has I just add a few drops of Transtint dye to it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I have a lot more trouble with EnduroVar than HP Poly, too. HP Poly is about the easiest thing to spray, very forgiving. Thin coats, thick coats, most anything levels out and dries nice and flat. EnduroVar always gives me orange peel unless I spray it very heavy, just short of running on vertical surfaces. That's the only way I can get it to self level. But your door looks like you sprayed a pretty heavy coat so my only other guess is your sandpaper had something on it that didn't play nice with EnduroVar. If you only sanded the doors that had the problem then that would be pretty strong evidence that's where the problem is.

FWIW, I almost never use EnduroVar since I discovered Enduro Clear Poly. ECP sprays as easily as HP Poly and has about the same chemical durability of EV. If I want it to have that slightly amber look the EV has I just add a few drops of Transtint dye to it.

John
    No, all the doors were sanded, between coats, with the same piece of paper. And yes, a heavy coat when I saw the problem developing. I would hate for this to happen on something important.

Hmm, I'm out of ideas then. I suggest you switch to Enduro Clear Poly in the future. It sprays like a dream.

John

I always seal first before applying the enduro var and have never had a problem. Looks to me like you are trying to spray over open grain.

That's what I was thinking, looks like a couple patches of thirsty grain sucking up the finish. I've had that happen a couple times with EnduroVar, but I haven't sprayed any other finish brands so not saying I'm blaming the finish. I ended up sealing with a light shellac coat.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    I always seal first before applying the enduro var and have never had a problem. Looks to me like you are trying to spray over open grain.

I just got back on the horse and sprayed the same material as before. Everything went great. The open grain had noting to do with it, IMHO. The first attempt had problems across all parts of the wood, just not the open grain. I believe there must have been a contaminant on the wood to begin with, even though I sanded it.

Still can't explain the big dimples/craters in the original post.

Mark,
    It read like you were experiencing "Fish Eye" form silicone but it doesn't seem very likely. I spoke with GF about EnduroVar and was told to keep two things in mind.
    1. It isn't with any other finish under it (again, not your problem)
    2. It needs to be applied in thin even coats. Maybe your second coat was a little heavy??
    Gary

Wish I could offer some insight, but I end up with the same problems and more. I hope you get it figured out, I've spent many, many hours researching and trying different things to no avail. I don't understand how so many people have no problems at all. General finishes wasn't much help either. Thinking about switching over to some of the products from target that everyone raves about.

As I mentioned above, try GF's Enduro Clear Poly. It sprays beautifully with an HVLP gun. Never had an issue with it in the 5+ gallons I've sprayed over the past couple of years.

John