Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Statistics

Woodworking Statistics

I was reading woodworking statistics and had to wonder about the accuracy. Fine Woodworking says the average woodworker that reads their magazine makes about $122,000 annually and spends $8800 on the hobby each year. It also says we average 50 - 55 years of age. Another study found it's mostly men and a well-educated Caucasian hobby.

I'll have to start reading FW again. I'm drastically underpaid.
    ‎"A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." —G. K. Chesterton

According to Fine Woodworking I'm below average. According to the people who see my work I'm a guru.
    I've read nearly every
    Fine Woodworking issue from #1 in 1975 to now. I still love the magazine. It's fun to see quality images of the craft and other shops.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Hmm, kinda hard to believe. That's about the average salary for an engineering professor in our department.

Is that household income?
    I wish I had $8800 to spend each year!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Reitz View Post
    I'll have to start reading FW again. I'm drastically underpaid.
    You and me both, bruddah!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Fine Woodworking says the average woodworker that reads their magazine and fills out their surveys makes about $122,000 annually and spends $8800 on the hobby each year. It also says we average 50 - 55 years of age. Another study found it's mostly men and a well-educated Caucasian hobby.
    Fixed that for you, so it should make more sense now...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hmmm. Since I am 20 years over their average age, I should have spent about $176,000 on it in the last 20 years. Guess I'd better get busy.

Wait till I tell my wife.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Is that household income?
    I wish I had $8800 to spend each year!
    Me too. Folks that read FWW are sure high rollers.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I was reading woodworking statistics and had to wonder about the accuracy. Fine Woodworking says the average woodworker that reads their magazine makes about $122,000 annually and spends $8800 on the hobby each year. It also says we average 50 - 55 years of age. Another study found it's mostly men and a well-educated Caucasian hobby.
    Fits my demographics, and observations of people I know and events I've gone to.

I don't know about the annual expenditure, I put 10% of my income to hobbies for both of us.

I live in a large city, most young people live in apartments or condominiums, hard to be a woodworker without a lot of motivation and effort for those people.

My daughter had a party at her condo, nobody belived that she had made her dining room table, apparently you can only buy furniture........Rod/

I predict that in speed dating " I subscribe to Fine Woodworking" will become a most popular phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Fixed that for you, so it should make more sense now...
    Good point Dan, however it does fit my observations about woodworkers I know, except of course for the retired ones, who had salaries in that range.

Regards, Rod.

This is not hard to believe.
    First many of the tools are not inexpensive, so as a hobby we can eliminate the indigent.
    So, let's say we bottom out at $30,000-$40,000/year (remember, these are people that take this up as a hobby and aspire to be inspired by FWW).

But, there is no upper limit. Whenever you have a limit on one end, you no longer have a normal distribution.
    If there was a couple of millionaires that filled out the survey that immediately skews the distribution.

it might be more informative if they gave the median numbers instead.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Blog Entries
    My daughter had a party at her condo, nobody belived that she had made her dining room table, apparently you can only buy furniture........
    People amaze me all the time. Often when they see things made in my shop for sale at the farmers market the look at me with a strange look and ask, "where can you buy wood?"

Some folks do not even realize one of the most important industries in this state is lumber.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There is probably some self-selecting going on. This may be the average of those who subscribe who also took the time to fill out the survey and are pretty excited about how much they spent last year.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!