Thread: DC- pump the fine dust outside?

DC- pump the fine dust outside?

I have a lowly Delta 50-760 DC. As non-cyclone 1.5 HP DC's go, it's supposedly one of the best, so I've decided to pimp my ride a little.

I'll be adding a "tall" design cyclone pre-seperator. Probably the Oneida super DD, though there's nice looking aluminum unit sold by some guy on the internet which intrigues me.

Anyway, the other upgrade would be to replace tha bag filter with a 0.5 micron cartridge filter from Wynn. I know this give vastly improved surface area & thus better DC suction.

However, a 1.5 HP DC needs all the help it can get, and for the BEST suction, it has often been recommended to use no filter at all. - To just vent the output of the cyclone section to the yard. This seems like a fairly good idea to me, and it would save me $200. (Money is seriously tight these days.)

However, I'm a little hesitant, from a safety standpoint. Is this safe for neighbors & pets? Does that fine dust just immediately fall to the ground & start decomposing, or could it pose a health hazard, in large quantities? Does anyone actually know?

Would you do this?

2. I don't know but that is what I do and I cannot see any evidence of dust outside near the exhaust.

If you put in a cyclone separator, you will collect most of the dust in your barrel, so the exhaust would be mostly air. Biggest problem is if you are heating your shop with a forced air system.

Blog Entries
    Dad has been doing this for years in a suburban environment. The outlet is on the side of the house where the trash cans are stored. Only occasionally do I find dust residue that hasn't blown off to Neverland via Mother Nature.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's pretty dusty outside where I live regardless of anybody's woodworking.

Thanks, guys.

I think then that this is my new plan.

My experience is the same as Jims. The only time I see anything blowing out is when my bin is full.

BTW, don't sell you DC short. I have a 1 1/2HP Jet supposedly 1100cfm and it does a satisfactory job.
    I used 6" ducts and keep my biggest shavings producers close to the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

BTW, don't sell you DC short. I have a 1 1/2HP Jet supposedly 1100cfm and it does a satisfactory job.
    I used 6" ducts and keep my biggest shavings producers close to the unit.
    Yeah, I figure with a large cyclone pre-seperator, a 5" or 6" main line, and no filter back-pressure, it should do pretty well.

thanks, guys.