Thread: Moving a closed stand jointer

Moving a closed stand jointer

I've decided to purchase a used closed stand jointer (either Jet or Powermatic) off Craigslist as soon as I find one. Since they go quickly if priced right, I'll need to have my ducks in line and ready to act quickly.

I'm puzzled as to how I will need to go about moving home a closed stand jointer. Can anyone on here shed some advice? The Powermatic I'm looking at weighs 330 pounds, and I certainly can't lift that. I assume that the top half of the jointer can unbolt from the stand and that will lighten things up a bit?

I have a Ford Explorer SUV that I can put it in, or I can rent a trailer (behind a different vehicle) and bring it home in a trailer if need be. A trailer would be much more complicated, so it would help a lot if I could easily disassemble the unit and put in the back of my explorer.

Experiences in moving a closed stand jointer would be very helpful so I can be ready once one goes up for sale.

I have a closed stand 6" Jet that I've moved a couple of times. It is on wheels. I roll it to my truck (F150), take the fence off and split the stand and jointer. The stand is high enough that it is fairly easy to get it into the bed. 2x6 across the rails, another for a lever and a cargo strap around the jointer (center part, not the wings). Lift, slide, land. Unload in reverse.

Good luck.

I moved an 8" jointer recently. Put appliance rollers under it (carefully) and rolled it to a lift gate truck. Could have done it by sliding it along but the lift gate was critical.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If it's on wheels, I'd roll it onto the trailer and strap it down well. You'll want to tune and adjust it anyway when you get home. When I unpacked mine from the crate, I used an engine hoist to lift it on to the stand. Just don't lift it by the wings.

Tractor Supply sells small moving dollys pretty cheap. Tilt it back the long way, and have a helper get the dolly under it as you let it back down. You can walk it by rocking it up on two corners of the base too. Rent a small motorcycle trailer. I have two helpers that are powerlifters, so our portable jointer is either a six inch or an eight inch, depending on the job, but even those guys use one of those moving dollys.

You can take off the fence, motor and take it off the base and with someone helping you it can be put in your car.

i picked up a 16 inch American jointer and the auction house put it in my pickup (f150). I took everything off the I could and with the help of Wife and an engine lift I got it off. I passed on the trailer since I never used one.
    Don