Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yorkcraft planer review

while the cats away

john goes and gets another tool but hey at least he got a good one and from a great vendor. glad its working well for ya john. i will have to check out that foam rubber trick on one to see if it helps. those chips do affect the finish some huh. tyler you had better start making plans to see the great one from spring green before he gets to specail for us peasents
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

And more "thanks" to you guys! Yeah, I'm quite happy with it.

Jim H., whether it's the Yorkie or a similar one, if you're looking for something a bit quieter, the bigger floor units will be a big help AND give you a lot more power, to boot.

Dan, "rehab" is right!!! First pieces went through the puppy with a real fresh brace on my hand/arm! Didn't feel a thing!

Larry, Larry, Larry....What am I gonna' do with you? I will never be too *special* for anyone here at SMC! Fact is, I really DO feel special to be in the presence of so many skilled, talented and, above all, plain old great human beings! Kinda' restores my confidence in society or, at least, that segment of society, which has elected to partake in woodworking! Thanks again, folks!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,

I’m almost ready to place my name on the order list! Just one more question:

My understanding is that with the larger planers the infeed or outfeed serrated rollers will leave impressions in the wood when taking very light cuts. So, have you had a chance to take some very light passes with the planer (hardwood or softwood)? How did it look? Really, how light of a pass can you take before the feed roller marks start showing up?

I can only assume that this problem will show up with any planer with serrated rollers. I'm just curious as to what I can expect with the Yorkcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Goddard
    John,

I’m almost ready to place my name on the order list! Just one more question:

My understanding is that with the larger planers the infeed or outfeed serrated rollers will leave impressions in the wood when taking very light cuts. So, have you had a chance to take some very light passes with the planer (hardwood or softwood)? How did it look? Really, how light of a pass can you take before the feed roller marks start showing up?

I can only assume that this problem will show up with any planer with serrated rollers. I'm just curious as to what I can expect with the Yorkcraft.
    Jay, what you speak of is true but, much of that also depends on the wood. I took some extremely light cuts on some BE Maple and the impressions were virtually undetectable, though I had not yet tried wiping any mineral spirits or such on it. Those passes were right about 1/64th, at best. I also took some light passes on the Black Walnut I was prepping and again, hardly even detectable. I'd venture to say that would not be quite the case with softer woods, but that's only speculation, as I've not done any yet. In either case, we must ultimately remember that the function of a thickness planer is NOT to have your material ready to accept finish. You would still need to process that by whatever your preferred method is or allows for. BTW, on the Yorkie (and most probably any of the larger planers) you can also adjust the pressure of either feed rollers. FWIW, I've not found that to be necessary, though YMMV.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Hey buddy! Congrats on the planer! Just one more reason that I need to get back out to your place!!

Maybe next weekend

p.s. Log onto AOL sometime
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

John,
    Very nice score. Would love to have one of those myself - but I'd never get that down to my basement shop without killing myself.

Dave

Matt, I am considering a 15" model, but am concerned with them being underpowered with only 3hp. How does your 20" handle near full-width passes at 1/8" on maple? Are you straining the motor? I want to be able to hog off as much material as possible per pass and then take a light pass at the end. 15" width is sufficient, but I don't know about 3hp. Also, how long do you find the knives stay sharp for? Wish you had spiral carbide?

P.S. I build kitchen doors and currently have a portable 12 1/2".

Cheers, Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Woodworth View Post
    Nice review. I have the 20" version and I'm just as pleased. Unlike you, I tend to hog off the full 1/8" until the last pass and it handles 20" of hard maple and hackleberry (related to elm) without any trouble.

I'm not sure if that will translate to the 15" model. Mine does have a larger motor but it also wider knives to turn.

Is this the one your talking about. This was a very old thread but I was interested when it came up because I had one.

It was my understanding york craft was no longer being sold new. I had a very bad costumer service experience with wilke and a jointer that was no good.

As far as the planer goes it does work. It is not under powered as far as I can tell but I have not planed 1/8" off a 20" wide board. Mine had a harmonic vibration that has let off a little now that everything has settled.

By a Grizzly. Same thing with better internal parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Barnard View Post
    Matt, I am considering a 15" model, but am concerned with them being underpowered with only 3hp. How does your 20" handle near full-width passes at 1/8" on maple? Are you straining the motor? I want to be able to hog off as much material as possible per pass and then take a light pass at the end. 15" width is sufficient, but I don't know about 3hp. Also, how long do you find the knives stay sharp for? Wish you had spiral carbide?

P.S. I build kitchen doors and currently have a portable 12 1/2".

Cheers, Nathan
    Nathan, WOW...What a "blast from the past" on this thread!!! So much so that, if you try to find a new "Yorkie", you may have problems. Seems that Wilke Machinery no longer deals WW equipment, per se!!!

However, whether you chose any other brand, 15 or 20" and can swing it, I highy, HIGHLY recomend getting a Shelix head for it!!! Still saving to put one on my 15" Yorkie! Powermatic now has a 15" they're offering with the Shelix on it. Oh, and be sure that, if you do get a helical head, it's a *genuine* Byrd unit! The design of the head and cutters is better than the knock-offs out there!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

John, you get the fancy head for that planer and haven't used the spare set of knifes you got, I know someone who could use them.

Also looking in the griz catalog their 15" planer looks exactly like the york, like to know what changes they made?

Al...who's still happy with his york 8" joiner and 15" planer
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    John, you get the fancy head for that planer and haven't used the spare set of knifes you got, I know someone who could use them.

Also looking in the griz catalog their 15" planer looks exactly like the york, like to know what changes they made?

Al...who's still happy with his york 8" joiner and 15" planer

Al, I get that fancy-dancy head and the knives are YOURS, my friend!!! Got that head on my DJ-20 a few years ago and haven't looked back!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Thanks...maybe I see a Creeker visit coming up??

Al...who might as well go to John's on the way to finding Karl's place..

ps...if ya do let us know how much difference between the two, I thought the York did very well with standard blades
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    Thanks...maybe I see a Creeker visit coming up??

Al...who might as well go to John's on the way to finding Karl's place..

ps...if ya do let us know how much difference between the two, I thought the York did very well with standard blades
    Not sure how soon that might happen, Al BUT, you are STILL welcome to visit ANY time!!! Oh, and Karl's hacienda is just barely an hour from my humble abode!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

John, where have you been hiding?

It seems you haven't posted in what, 8 months?

Good to see you pop up

Joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    John, where have you been hiding?

It seems you haven't posted in what, 8 months?

Good to see you pop up

Joe
    Yeah, well I figure I was about "due"!!! LOTS of stuff going on, not the least of which has been "life". Busy with both jobs, too!

Thanks! I still check it out as time permits! (In between installations right now...)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas