Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test Your Wood Knowledge

Test Your Wood Knowledge

I need some help identifying the species of wood. As some background, LOML and I found this as a bunk bed and picked it up for $243. It was too good to pass up. Now, I'm charged with building some pieces (night stand, book case, etc.) around it. She would like me to match it as best as possible.

Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

- John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paduak? Can you tell if it was stained? I bet it is stained cherry.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Definitely stained.

Splotchy staining in the pictures. I side with chris on this, stained cherry.

"The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

5. Looks like cherry. I would imagine dye if it's a commercial piece. I would probably scratch the end of one of the bed rails or bottom of a leg with a knife and see what the color of the wood actually is.

Mike

Looks like Maple or Birch with a cherry stain. Get a scrap piece of maple in any event, take a small piece of your wood and a bare piece of maple or birch along to your paint store and they will match the color for you. There is a couple of places where I live that do this, I'm amazed at the matches they can do.

My first impression was to say Cherry, but looking at the grain more closely, I'm inclined to think it's Maple, with a Cherry stain or if a factory made pc. a Cherry dye mixed in with the finish coat over a sealer coat.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Everett
    My first impression was to say Cherry, but looking at the grain more closely, I'm inclined to think it's Maple, with a Cherry stain or if a factory made pc. a Cherry dye mixed in with the finish coat over a sealer coat.
    Roger
    ....ditto....(or maybe birch)
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

A while back, I made a bathroom vanity out of maple but used birch ply for the sides (because it was such a close match). I just went up there to check and it and the grain on the birch matches your pics pretty darn close.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

It looks like a peeler cut cherry veneer over some sort of man made substrate. Finish is likely a toner or dye.

Chris

Wow, I never would have imagined so many varying opinions here. If it'll help, here's a picture of the bed - it's from Bombay Kids' web site.

The bed rails are a plywood - I can see the layers on the ends. When it was in the sunlight, I could defintely see a bit of figure (if that's the right term) in there - some light reflecting this way but not that way. I was quite pleased.

I can't say for sure on the headboard or footboard. The trundle is a bit different - it's some kind of veneer with a MDF core - not quite as nice.

The guy at the local lumbar yard suggested it may be cherry as well, but I find it difficult to believe that one could find a cherry bed from Bombay, and them not advertize that it's cherry. The description on their web site just says "solid hardwoods," which is a little misleading with the obvious plywood used.

So, I guess the bottom line is, I could use Birch, Maple, Cherry or Alder and just work on trying to match the color and I'd be okay. Would that be a safe assumption?

- John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Hulett
    ...So, I guess the bottom line is, I could use Birch, Maple, Cherry or Alder and just work on trying to match the color and I'd be okay. Would that be a safe assumption?..
    I would think so...They say "solid hardwoods" so they can use whatever they want and just match the stain. Get the grain close and I think you're in bidness.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Ok, my guess is birch - you can also get a close grain with poplar...and try minwax red mahogany or red oak and I bet you will have a match.

Cute bed, it is tough to compete in this market. I also see a little trunk at the end of the bed.

I guess none of the above. It is some unknown SE Asian wood that is classified as a hard wood and was made in China.

"Monkey wood" - Is a name I've heard for cheap imported "hardwood" furniture from Bombay, Target, Pier 1, and all the high volume borg and box stores.
    JF
    JF
    Apprentice Wooddorker
    Future Amputee