Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opossum in the back yard

Where are Jethro or Granny when you need them? Certainly not the best looking creatures. They have hissed loudly a few times when approached. Nasty looking teeth.

Update - Sad News

Mom 'possum passed away yesterday. I think she was pretty old - 'possums only live about 2 years in the wild. And yes, it was obvious she was dead, and not playing possum. The four young are living under a bush in my back yard. They must be doing okay because they ate an old avocado that I put out for them last night.

Just have to see if they can make it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    We sometimes get possums. Our deaf rescue dog can smell them with the windows closed (clearly has a hunting nose). He then goes nuts to rid his yard of the critters. He has killed a couple. Others who escape move on.

I am not crazy about them - better than racoons though. Little Pi keeps all the critters out of the yard.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Mom 'possum passed away yesterday. I think she was pretty old - 'possums only live about 2 years in the wild. And yes, it was obvious she was dead, and not playing possum. The four young are living under a bush in my back yard. They must be doing okay because they ate an old avocado that I put out for them last night.

Just have to see if they can make it.

Mike
    The little one in the picture I posted was plenty old enough. Most say that if they're 6" from nose to tail, they're fine on their own. While they aren't good pet material usually, wild ones calm down very quickly, it took maybe an hour until that possum was begging for human attention.

Speaking of Have a Heart traps, a fellow here at work had some kind of critter in his garage making a mess and leaving droppings everywhere. He used one of those traps to catch the little critter except when he got home from work and opened the door he found he had trapped a skunk......

What do you do with a unhappy skunk in a small wire cage???
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I've been told that skunks will not spray while caged, have not tested.

My experience has been skunks will not spray unless they can fully lift their tale. So a smaller cage or live trap will help prevent the spraying. I have also CAREFULLY covered the cage with a blanket and been able to pick up and move the trap. Pretty nerve racking, its like your on the bomb squad trying to move it.

When you catch a skunk, you take an old blanket or tarp, and hold it in front of you, walk toward the trap and carefully wrap the blanket clear around the trap, so the skunk can not see out. Take the trap where you want to release the skunk, and reverse the process. Skunk won't spray if he can't see.

That's pretty neat Mike.

About 5 years ago I went out to the parking lot at work near midnight and an animal walked under my car.

It had an unfamiliar walk, I moved the car a couple of parking spaces and got out, it was an opossum, I guess they're now this far north..........Regards, Rod.