Thread: Acrylic bending issue

Post Acrylic bending issue

Hi there, for bending acrylic we usually make groove using laser cutting machine and then heat the grooved area using filament and bend it.

But this leaves an unpolished and dirty looking area after bending in the grooves.

what is the best solution to bend the acrylic without grooving.

Also for long length bending the bent acrylic whether bent at 45degrees or 90 degrees would form a curve and would not remain straight.

Kindly suggest some best techniques to be used for this please.

Blog Entries
    Why do you cut a groove in the first place? It's not necessary. Just heat the area you want to bend and apply pressure...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I saw a video were they raised the piece of acyclic and scored a line crossed it with the laser and the acrylic just folded down at a 90. Looked pretty easy if you get your setting right.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi Bert

If its the video I saw they were rastering it quite far out of focus to soften it without cutting or burning it. I should try it for fun.
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Keith yes your right they rasterd a line to soften so it would bend see video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arjRtCjI9AQ

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Colson View Post
    Hi Bert

If its the video I saw they were rastering it quite far out of focus to soften it without cutting or burning it. I should try it for fun.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

We score a line and cut a slight notch at the bend line , so the edges of the bend dont "squish out"
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Here is the Plexiglas Forming manual that has some good information about bending acrylic. Page 7-9 around there is probably the most pertinent information.

http://www.plexiglas.com/export/site...ing-manual.pdf

We will generally just heat and only groove if precise bending is required as scoring/grooving will significantly weaken the material - mainly due to thickness but you also introduce stress and potential microfractures which is where a full break will start (that's why acrylic cracks so easily at screw holes). When we do score it (usually not acrylic) its with a v-carve bit or v shaped saw blade. But I can't recall the last time I did that with acrylic (we're an acrylic fab shop) though we do it much more often with polycarbonate.

Rodney is right about the ends squishing out, to avoid that you need to notch out the ends though its rarely enough of an issue to warrant it.
    Graham Facer
    1530 Omni CNC router (run with Vcarve), Shenhui 1200 x 900 150W reci laser cutter (now with EFR F6 hopefully)
    48" Generic Vinyl cutter, Roland engraver, and a dalhgren and vanguard on the project table.

...My pet peeve is a good thread with no conclusion because the OP solved the issue and disappeared. Either that or bus fatalities are much higher than reported.

Yes I agree the groove looks rough after bending, we do flame polishing inside the groove for 8mm, later bend

no problem in look wise

regards
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD