Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Texting while driving?

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    Like the sign on a church said, 'Honk if you love Jesus... text if you want to meet Him'
    thats good!!

I'm in my mid- 60s and frankly, I can tell my driving skills aren't what they used to be......

and yet....the most dangerous place and time to drive in this town is in the parking lot of a nearby grocery store in the mid-mornings.....and it's the older folks that make it dangerous.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It's all about enforcement ... or lack of as is the case now. It will be almost impossible to enforce as an LEO has to actually see it taking place. I don't think it will be long before the auto makers or the cell phone makers create some means of regulating texting or manual phone handling while the motor is running.

I ride a motorcycle when ever the weather allows and it is a dangerously distracted world out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I know there are laws against, but I see more texting while driving than ever before. It seems like if I am next to another car on a two-lane road, that there is about a one in ten chance that the other driving is texting. Under thirty-YO people, mostly.

It has altered the way I drive. I drive far more defensively than I used to. In the "olden days" I didn't like bumper to bumper traffic, but tolerated it. Now days I'll avoid bumper to bumper at all costs, trying to find a spot where someone is several seconds behind me and I've got a nice cushion in front.

But driving to/from Madison from Milwaukee, it sometimes seems like everyone is texting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    The one that drives me a little bonkers is people checking emailing or texting while sitting at stop lights. The light changes, they just sit there because they aren't looking up.

PUT THE PHONE DOWN AND DRIVE.
    This is just annoying and discourteous. But it is much better than doing it while the vehicle is in motion. At least it won't kill you.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I actually was driving parallel with a hipster due who was alternately texting, then taking hits from an e-bong while driving the boulevard in front of our house. Just when you think you've seen it all.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    This is just annoying and discourteous. But it is much better than doing it while the vehicle is in motion. At least it won't kill you.
    It might, road rage is alive and kicking these days.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

The bigger issue is that human driving should become obsolete. It's the most dangerous thing we do on a daily basis.

We should all be driving Googlecars and texting to our emogee hearts' desire.

Blog Entries
    I just returned from a 2 week business trip where I was most of the time a passenger in cars where co-workers were driving. After a ride with this one particular unnamed driver, I refused to ride with them again due to texting, dialing and talking on the cell phone. I offered to take possession of said cell phone or to be the driver, but both offers were refused, so I chose to ride with someone else!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Years ago I spilled hot coffee in my lap while driving. Now that is distracting.

I once commented that if auto manufacturers added a feature to their vehicles that if the vehicle sensed a driver texting while the vehicle is in motion, the transmission would fall out.
    My wife gave me a sideways look that said you are crazy.
    My one and only auto accident was me getting rear-ended while the teen driver was texting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I once commented that if auto manufacturers added a feature to their vehicles that if the vehicle sensed a driver texting while the vehicle is in motion, the transmission would fall out.
    Now that would create some real driving challenges. I think I'd be happier if they gave the texter a gentle electric shock so I didn't need to contend with transmissions all over the place.

Not much to add to the above. I ride an old Honda valkyrie and I've added a modulating headlight and brake lights that flash rapidly when the brake is applied but still scary out there. I may just start honking (installed a very loud horn) whenever I begin to stop just so the cagers will look up.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Now that would create some real driving challenges.
    No challenges, it already exists in the aftermarket world...

https://www.cellcontrol.com
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Doesn't Ford let you text and drive via their integrated program where you simply say what you want to say into a microphone and it transcribes it and sends it to the correct recipient?

Tim your in SC weather allows you to ride 365 days a year

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    It's all about enforcement ... or lack of as is the case now. It will be almost impossible to enforce as an LEO has to actually see it taking place. I don't think it will be long before the auto makers or the cell phone makers create some means of regulating texting or manual phone handling while the motor is running.

I ride a motorcycle when ever the weather allows and it is a dangerously distracted world out there.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander