Thread: A bent-stave cask

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A bent-stave cask

Here's some pictures of a coopered cask I just finished with some build pictures. It's the general size and shape of a butter churn (although almost all churns I've seen have straight staves) but since I am not planning to actually churn any butter we'll probably use it as an umbrella stand or something like that.

The first few staves:

churn staves.jpg

My makeshift shave horse (I've seen ones like this described as a "shave pony") and my regular jointer flipped upside down in the vice. The shave horse actually worked surprisingly well. The jointer worked ok, but a bigger one on the floor would be really nice. My next project is to learn how to make planes so I can build a real cooper's jointer...

shave horse and jointer.jpg

After dressing the staves and raising it up, but before bending

before bending.jpg

To bend I decided to boil / steam it rather than the more traditional method of putting it over a small fire. Since I had never done this before I thought that would maximize my chances of success and minimize the risk of destroying it.

steaming.jpg

After about 30 minutes in the pot, I pulled it out and started driving the hoops down. I wore safety glasses because I was really afraid the staves were going to break violently...

driving first hoop.jpg
    Last edited by Christian Thompson; 04-20-2015 at 4:19 PM.