Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop pics...

Shop pics...

Good morning,

Here are some inside pics of my recently completed shop. 20 x 20 is kind of small compared to my barn (We moved in August...) I built the entire thing from scratch in about 6 weeks to get it buttoned up for the winter. I then spent the next two months finishing the inside.

This first picture is as you step inside. Handtools and bench on the far wall. The bandsaw is rolled into the corner when not in use.

Here is the south wall where I have put the lumber rack. I made it high enough so I could get a couple of rolling cabinets underneath like my router table. The vaulted ceilings make this all possible.

Here I put the table saw on the north wall with an outfeed table I built that has 9 drawers for hardware. This makes the table heavy but can still be rolled around.

The last area is the corner where my lathe is and a door out to the backyard.

I had to get used to having things on wheels to roll them out of the way when not needed. This gives me a lot of room in the middle to assemble larger cases, etc...

I have since put trim around the doors and windows..

Paul
    How did I get here? Nevermind....

Thumbs up Great!

I like the vaulted ceilings, at the lowest corner of the ceiling is that 8' or 9'?

And how do you heat it?
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

Re: Shop pics...

Originally posted by Paul D. May
    I had to get used to having things on wheels to roll them out of the way when not needed. This gives me a lot of room in the middle to assemble larger cases, etc...
    Nice job on the shop, Paul. I do wish I had that headroom in my shop, but that isn't going to happen as it would take away the room overhead! I am curious about the color on the ceiling...do you find the darker color inhibits any of your lighting due to lower reflectivity?

I an firmly convinced that no matter what size shop one has, mobile bases are generally a good idea. There is always that "one project" that having a little extra assembly space or some extra outfeed space comes in handy. Additionally, some tools in the shop may change over time and being able to realign things appropriately (and easily) is a nice feature.

It also makes "deep cleaning" of the shop a lot easier...at least for those of us who are anal about such things!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Paul: Very nice job on your new shop,thanks for sharing it with us..

great job on the shop,,,,,,,
    Mike

New Shop

Hello Paul, it’s good to see your name up again. I wish I had those high ceilings. The new shop looks great!

When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out my room. - Woody Allen
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thumbs up

Paul,

Nice job on the shop. I wish I was that talented to build my own. I have a 14' X 24' shop with three windows and a 9' X 7' garage door but I paid an Amish company to build it for me. I need to build a lumber rack something like yours maybe not quite as big since I do not have loads of space. Thanks for sharing with pictures.
    Life Sure Is Great! Enjoy It.

Paul's shop

That's a first class job on your shop, Paul. It looks like you have made excellent use of your space. Thanks for the tour.
    JB

Thumbs up

Yup, 20x20 may be a bit small, but you've got me by 3', plus you don't have a main thoroughfare like I do, so you've definitely got a couple things up on me! The vaulted ceiling is absolutely advantageous and I think adds some nice character to the shop. I noticed you have what looks like 4" PVC on one end. Can we assume this is going to a DC or maybe a Cyclone? Inquiring minds want to know... Have load of fun in your new shop! Looks like a winner to me.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

It's not the size of the shop that matters, but the work that comes out of it. After all that teasing of us you did on BP about building the new shop, it's good to finally see some pics of the inside. We've been patiently waiting.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Originally posted by Jason Roehl
    It's not the size of the shop that matters, but the work that comes out of it. After all that teasing of us you did on BP about building the new shop, it's good to finally see some pics of the inside. We've been patiently waiting.
    Ain't that the truth. Ever see Dave Smith's shop? Ever see the stuff he makes? It seems like half the furniture he makes couldn't even fit in the shop once completed.

Re: Great!

Originally posted by Paul Geer
    I like the vaulted ceilings, at the lowest corner of the ceiling is that 8' or 9'?

And how do you heat it?
    Hi Paul,

I will be putting in a 40,000 BTU Hot Dawg this fall...

Re: Re: Shop pics...

Originally posted by Jim Becker
    Nice job on the shop, Paul. I do wish I had that headroom in my shop, but that isn't going to happen as it would take away the room overhead! I am curious about the color on the ceiling...do you find the darker color inhibits any of your lighting due to lower reflectivity?

The shop ceilings are the smae glossy white...I don;t know why they came out so dark in the photos Jim...

Re: Re: Great!

As it appears you have gas available, consider a ceiling-mounted direct vent radient system. Great heat...no flame...no fumes...no air blowing around kicking up dust on your finishing processes. You could run it right down the ridge out of the way and the height you have available is absolutely ideal for this type of heat.

Thumbs up Re: Re: Great!

Hi Paul,

Paul,

Nice shop! I also have a Hot Dawg heater in my shop and I think it is a fantastic unit. You will enjoy having the heat in the winter.

Brad