Thread: bottle stopers

bottle stopers

Hi all, some time back there was a discussion on which stoppers were the best not to leak when the bottle was laid down to fit in the fridg, I don't remember which were the best. Does any one remember that? Thanks Wally

Wally I make mine slightly differently than most. I use the same type synthetic cork that many wine and liquor bottles come with. These do not leak when laid down on their sides.
    Below are a few photos
    In the first the stopper on the left is the type I purchased from the net I don't like them nearly as much as the other in that photo which is from a bottle of Vodka that my wife kindly emptied(s) for me!
    The second and third photo's are a sort of comparison of my style to the Ruth Niles(probably the best of the best) but I don't know if her's would leak if turned on their side although I doubt it.
    Incidentally my version is considerably cheaper to procure especially if you like Vodka LOL!!!1
    IMG_3272.jpgIMG_3273.jpgIMG_3274.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Vodka! That got my attention. Nice stoppers Peter! I like that inset one. Where do you get the synthetic corks?

I think Ruth makes the best too.

I would not leave my wine bottle on its side. IF it leaks, you'd lose all that wine.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Vodka! That got my attention. Nice stoppers Peter! I like that inset one. Where do you get the synthetic corks?

I think Ruth makes the best too.

I would not leave my wine bottle on its side. IF it leaks, you'd lose all that wine.......
    Gotta agree with all Kyle says here. Ruth Niles also has instructions on her website. Her stoppers are superior quality to the kind you make with dowels with the plastic accordion covers. IMO. I also bought a pendant kit from her. Very nice person to deal with.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Yep, you bet, what he said! Ruth's stuff is the best, no question in my mind.
    As far as where I got mine, well it was some time ago and the old brain ain't what it used to be.
    I like to use what are referred to as tasting corks I think these are just a little smaller than the one used for bottling and to my mind are slightly easier to install, kind of like the Vodka ones I was referring to. I made up a wooden jig that the synthetic cork fits into that fits quite nicely into the hole I drill for the bottle size. This allows me to get the cork aligned properly. If it is tipped a little of course the bottle opening must be larger and I try to keep mine as small in diameter as possible. I usually rough up the outside of the plastic "tee" by fitting the cork into a hole in a piece of wood that I have in my lathe before epoxying it into the finished cap.
    I did Google the plugs and have a couple of links I could provide but don't think I should post them here but if you PM me I'll be happy to share. Most of the suppliers are selling in VERY large quantities but I believe the two I have will sell in smaller quantities.
    Good luck.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .