I have a bench with leg vise and wagon vise, made from Benchcrafted split top roubo plans. It is a nice bench in most respects (and my first bench), but one thing that I miss very frequently is ability to clamp things so they would protrude perpendicular to the bench (and usually horizontal). To clarify what I mean, this is what you could do if you had a metal tail vise, or front vise that was flush with end of bench, or scandiavian tail vise. It would help with crosscutting, or with holding an object for spookeshave or drawknife work without having to twist your body to get into proper stance for work, with bench in the way.

Much of time time, I can just clamp the object to the bench top and let it protrude over it, but this is often inconvenient and annoyingly slow to reposition the object. I am considering installing a metal tail vise next to the wagon vise. I'd also possibly go for a portable device like http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?p=31144 except that one won't clamp to a 4" top. I could also use a handscrew, clamp the item, and put the handscrew into the leg vise so that the item is protruding toward me - again slow to reposition the item. Any other suggestions?