Thread: Charles Neil Blotch Control

Charles Neil Blotch Control

Does anyone know if Charles Neil's Blotch Control inhibits "aging" in cherry? The tests I have run show that it does minimalize blotching and the web site indicates that it doesn't but I've been duped before. Mahalo.

I don't know what Charles Neil's blotch control is but I know that nothing much stops cherry from darkening with age and light exposure. I've had cherry veneer in a box with some veneer tape on small parts of it to fix a split, and the veneer darkened everywhere except under the veneer tape.

Once I used the veneer and removed the tape, it darkened evenly fairly quickly.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    FYI: Charles Neil is a member here at SMC so you could probably IM him about it. I have used his blotch control on cherry a few times and really like it. I would think that it would not inhibit the darkening properties of cherry. I know of nothing that will do that!
    So far all the projects I have used his product on have also been stained very dark to begin with (I know! but you do what the customer wants!), so it is pretty hard to tell if the darkening was inhibited.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You can also contact Charles Neil through his website. He is very good about answering questions.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have used his blotch control and the cherry is getting dark with age.

You really cannot inhibit any species of wood from changing color over time, whether it's something like cherry that gets darker or something like walnut that gets lighter. It's the "nature of nature". You "may" be able to slow the process slightly with a UV inhibitor, but in the end...nope. The product you mention is designed to control penetration of stain/dye so that uneven absorption due to variation in grain doesn't cause uneven color across the material...which is often called "blotching".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...