Thread: Need info - Tumbling media for small hardwood parts

Need info - Tumbling media for small hardwood parts

I have a small tumbler that i use for brass cases. I am considering making hardwood jewelry from all the small pieces of highly figured wood left from making other projects/products.

After searching the web several times, I have found little specific information on what media options will work on hardwood. There is a lot of speculation and "This should work" comments, but nothing from those that are actually doing this successfully.

I would appreciate hearing from those that have successfully done tumbling of small hardwood parts, what media works for them.

This was posted under FINISHING and had 92 hits in 2 days, -0- responses! I know this can be done.

If you reload just try some diff things. I'd try cat litter, and a few drops of car wax. Works great for shells.

I have tried several media. Most are OK for P O L I S H I N G brass. They also P O L I S H wood. I need better/more aggressive abrasion to soften corners on hardwood in less than a couple of weeks tumbling time.

the grit they use in rock tumblers work can't remember what its called but they have different grits. thats what one of my customers use for small parts.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

You are thinking of Silicon Carbide or Aluminum Oxide grit. Lapidary supply companies sell it by the pound. You can get cheap kits on ebay.

You could also try ceramic or plastic shapes. These are used to polish/deburr metal. Here is the first website I found with them: http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ling-media.htm

Jeremy.

My wife does some lapidary/jewelry work out of my shop and she uses silicon carbine grits in her tumbler. Never thought about putting wood in there, cool idea. You can also look into a vibratory tumbler instead of the more common rotary tumblers. The vibratory versions are much faster. She can take stones through the grits from rough to polished in about 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy j smith View Post
    You are thinking of Silicon Carbide or Aluminum Oxide grit. Lapidary supply companies sell it by the pound. You can get cheap kits on ebay.

You could also try ceramic or plastic shapes. These are used to polish/deburr metal. Here is the first website I found with them: http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ling-media.htm

Jeremy.
    right thats what my customer uses they are little waves made from baltic birch 10's of thousands of them.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

1/2" squares of sandpaper. Try different grits.

I have read that method elsewhere and am trying it as this is written. I am thinking that getting some aluminum oxide grit(s) only, no paper, may be the way to go. So far I can only find it in large volumes (50#) for sandblasting. I need to check lapidary supply houses.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

I am thinking that getting some aluminum oxide grit(s) only, no paper, may be the way to go.
    If you go that way, can you please post back here about how it worked out?
    I have a Dillon case cleaner that I sometimes use to clean and polish old hinges and knobs. Sometimes they are painted over heavily and I've considered using something abrasive instead of the corn cob media I normally use.

I'm worried it might chew up - - or worse - - chew through - - the plastic bowl.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    I have read that method elsewhere and am trying it as this is written. I am thinking that getting some aluminum oxide grit(s) only, no paper, may be the way to go. So far I can only find it in large volumes (50#) for sandblasting. I need to check lapidary supply houses.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.
    Talk about overthinking it. Just use the cut up bits of sandpaper. Works well and is inexpensive!!!!

checking "lapidary" and "sand blasting", I'm having difficulty finding white aluminum oxide in volumes less than 50# I'm thinking a multiple step process, starting with 80 grit, 120, 220 and then a fine polishing might work. I'ts curious that no one seems to have any experience with this process, positive or negative.