Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool I never knew I needed...join in

Tool I never knew I needed...join in

It's almost embarrassing to start this thread but I have thick skin so I thought, what the heck. Like many, I have bought a lot of tools in the past, because, I knew I needed them or I wanted to upgrade to a better version. Well, this past week, I simply bought a tool because I wondered what all the noise was about..........a block planer. I know, I know, most of you are saying, hey idiot, this should have been in your arsenal since you first started woodworking. Years ago I was given an old, cheap, planer and never took the time to learn how to use it properly. I gave it away and now regret it.

I recently built a table for the wife that sits between two front porch chairs. I built it with the table top angled on the edges before meeting the slats. This was my way to justify buying the block plane and giving it a go. Wow, I am really embarrassed at my ignorance. I had no idea the usefulness of this simple tool. No motor, no extension cord needed, and quite frankly, much easier to use than my previous go to tools.

To sum it up, a couple things......
    do you have a similar story about a tool you bought, powered or not
    I only have the block plane and now reading about all of the other type planes, what should be my next plane purchase, and what the heck is it used for? I see why many collect these

Thanks for reading

Scott - if this is about handplanes specifically, you probably should get the Mods to move it to Neader-world.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have four of my fathers old Stanley hand planes. I took one off the wall and sharpened it up really nice once then tested it on a 2x4 before returning it to the wall. The only time I actually recall getting any actual use out of one of them was when there was a big hairy on the wall and it was the plane was the closest blunt object. Unfortunately I guess I grew up with power tools and have never come to that moment where it occurs to me that I need a hand plane for this task.

The one tool I bought on a whim and have ended up using the heck out of is one of those Harbor Freight vibrating saws. I haven't really used it for woodworking but I have used the heck out of it for remodeling projects. It is terrific for holes in dry wall.... trimming door casements for hardwood flooring installs... scoring glass tile to snap off where I want it... and a host of other projects some of which have been plumbing. I for the most part would never buy a Harbor Freight tool if I were planning on keeping it and use it frequently.... but the variable speed one I bough from HF has actually held up quite well!

Senco micro pinner. Thought they looked useless until I tried one.

Track saw....

I tried real hard to avoid one - - making all sorts of shop made guides and buying a couple of different clamp on guides - - before biting the bullet on a Festool.

18 ga brad nailer is another one.
    I bought one at Sears on a whim about 20 years ago and never used it. One day, I dragged it out for something and was like "Wow! Why haven't i been using this all along???!!!"
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Air nailers; pin, brad and finish. Once you use one you wonder why you never owned one (or several). My first try with one was back in the early 90's and it was a game changer in my woodworking shop. To me a must have tool.

Red
    RED

For me, it was also a hand plane. A cheap 2", $5 plane I found in a box of stuff I bought at an estate sale. I was building a drawer box to fit my router table and it just wouldnt slide into place. I was looking around the shop going 'how do I solve THIS' ?, when I spied it and said 'Well, why not?'.

It worked like a charm. Next came a block plane, then I refurbished an MF#9 (smoothing plane) and then I fell down the slippery slope. Planes have been an incredibly useful addition to my power tool based shop.

So have backsaws. You can cut any angle and nearly any joint comprised of straight lines - without a bunch of machine setup - once you learn to saw. (I'm still working on that.)

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    Air nailers; pin, brad and finish. Once you use one you wonder why you never owned one (or several). My first try with one was back in the early 90's and it was a game changer in my woodworking shop. To me a must have tool.

Red
    You're right Red. I dont use mine often, but every time I do, I wonder why I dont use it MORE. Nice tools for sure.

Track saw. Shoulder plane. Shoulder plane makes getting tenons the right size much easier.

Used my block plane over the weekend. I was changing the base under my RAS to fit on the new bench. I could shave a bit off the outside legs on the table saw but there is a middle 2x4 glued to a top that I couldn't reach. Taking about 1/16 off with the block and regular plane was the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post

Red
    How true! I used to think guys who used air nailers probably hauled plywood on top of their Jaguar. They I picked up on one at a local pawn shop. I guess I owe those guts an apologee!

John

Track saw and my Roubo workbench. Both were total game changers. And the Domino... totally a luxury tool of course but dang do I love that thing.

Compressor with air hose. Use it almost all the time - every time I'm in the shop.
    Also, a sink. So handy for many things, Also use this almost every time I'm in the shop.

There have been a few mentions of a track saw now. For sheet goods I've been using my circular saw with a homemade straightedge guide (like this one: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ma...-circular-saw/). It's a pretty quick setup and I get clean cuts. Pardon my ignorance, but is a track saw any different than this, or is there more to it that I don't know about since I've never seen it used? I'm legitimately curious since so many people seem to like it.

Also, to answer the original question, when I first started woodworking, i convinced myself that I'd stick with power tools, but I quickly discovered that there are certain tasks that my hand planes do so much better and faster than with a sander. Luckily it didn't take me too long to figure this out.
    Last edited by Dan Klein; 04-27-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Hey Dan, I think that is a very good question. I think it deserves its on thread. I used a home made saw guide and premium quality circular saw similar to what you mentioned for two decades before I bought a Makita track saw. My opinion is that it is worth the money. I just hate to get this thread too far off course by going into details.

Ryobi battery powered air brad nailer. I have two compressors and the usual assortment nailers for woodworking and DIY use. However, I often found it a PIA to drag out the compressor, etc. for small jobs.

Now I have the Ryobi Li-on powered nailer always ready to go for cabinet assembly, etc and particularly those times when a few brads are needed. Sure saves my back.