Thread: Ya the joys of urbran trees

Ya the joys of urbran trees

Yesterday I was given a nice looking truck of Pacific Madrone.
    As I was processing it I hit the joy of urban trees.
    A 20p nail. The head was a good 1/2inch (5mm) inside tree, so the nail had been there sometime.
    IMG_7760.jpg
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

OUCH!!! Did we ruin a few chainsaw teeth?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

3. Ralph.........I feel your pain......About 3 years ago I cut through a barn spike in a catalpa tree......ended my day of cutting.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If you cut FOG wood and haven't had this experience you have been VERY lucky.
    Here is an example of what I found with my chain saw in a local large Maple.
    IMG_2184.jpgIMG_2185.jpg
    Just this week I found one with my band saw,
    IMG_0802.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Barn yard trees are worse.... Found a 1/2 inch spike about 18 inches inside a 4 foot diameter myrtle, and that was just the beginning......

robo hippy

A found two more today... after using my metal detector that DIDN'T find them.

I didn't mind the large Aluminum "screw" I found in a Pear tree a few years ago. That didn't stop any tool.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

My Dad was milling some east coast hickory and found a lead slug deep in the wood. Since it was lead, he finished processing it outside so he didn't breath it, but ended up leaving it in the bookcase he was making. Nice piece of probable history now featured in the bookshelf!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Two years ago I found a horse shoe in a cherry piece that took the whole front of my coreing cutter off. Needless to say I was very,very unhappy and used those words that we try not to use. I'll try to find pictures???
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    My Dad was milling some east coast hickory and found a lead slug deep in the wood. Since it was lead, he finished processing it outside so he didn't breath it, but ended up leaving it in the bookcase he was making. Nice piece of probable history now featured in the bookshelf!
    A few years ago I was turning a large ash bowl, and found stains following the grain vertically. Eventually I noticed a bright spot - a shotgun pellet. The tree had been hit with a full burst, right in the area my wood came from, 30-40 years before it was cut.