Thread: Turning Balsa??

Turning Balsa??

Hey,
    As monst know, I'm a neophyte turner. I wanted to build several balsa floats in the eight to ten inch variety. My Daughter fishes for catfish at the base of a large dam in Fort Gibson and needs a large float. I ordered some 2x2 balsa and tried to turn it, gee, it was a mess. I had to chuck it in the four jaw chuck and it wore a large hole on the other end. Even when I had it spinning it seemed to defy the gouge and skew. Is there a secret to turning balsa or am I on a fools errand. If I have to I will turn it with rasps.
    Ed

Use glue blocks to mount it, even if you are turning between centers, and have VERY, VERY sharp tools. The softer the material, the more ornary it will be relative to tearout, etc. There are also different grades/hardness of balsa. Although the really soft stuff will float even better, it's going to be harder to turn. Try to pick the firmer balsa for turning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the words! I guess I'll have to study on sharpening a gouge.
    Ed

I've read about folks turning cork handles for fishing rods. I don't recall the details on best practices, but I think sandpaper is used to do a lot of the work. I'll try to dig up the book I have on making fishing rods, I think there is a paragraph or two on the subject.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

what about Band saw to shape, and then using a sanding block?

We turned my son's cub scout space derby rocket. Take light cuts! I would suguest using sandpaper though. Goes much quicker, and you dont have to sand it afterwards

Shawn

a good sharp skew would make short work of it and be a ton of fun

I think most of us would be better off with a 80 grit gouge on something that soft.

Hello Ed,

Guess I have turned my share of different species of wood, however must say I have never tried balsa. I have been giving your project some thought . This could be a wild idea , but as long as you are playing with that wood, why not give this a try. Soak the wood in water for two or three days and freez it. I have never tryed the same, however it may work . You will just have to learn to turn fast, and I would recomend NO spectators, and a face shield would be a must. I think I would only use a sharp skew.
    What do you think, let us know if it works .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello ED. Didn't know anyone else from Oklahoma was on here. I haven't posted yet. I just read what others have posted. Going to start turning soon. I have a brand new lathe still sitting in the box that I have not had the opportunity to set up yet. (We had to move out of the house and install 21 interior piers in the foundation. Got to love that Oklahoma clay soil.) Hopefully within the next month we we have moved back in and unpacked all of the boxes to where I can set the lathe up and start turning.

Good to see an Okie on here.
    Christopher A. Knight

Some Knight's are better than others.

Well folks,

I used a combination of sandpaper and rasps. I have one rasp in the shape of a gouge and it really turned the trick!

I gave the two I turned to my daughter and she was delighted. Says that the equivalent at the dam runs $10.00 each. I've still got 3 feet of 2x2 and 16 feet of 1x1 left so I'll be rasping away. I m,ay also try the soak and freeze idea. Nothing ventured - nothing gained. (As the actress said to the bishop!)

Anyho thanks all. This is one great forum, and its good to see another Okie on board

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Breen
    ... I guess I'll have to study on sharpening a gouge.
    Ed
    I think you just answered the problem...I think in terms of minutes of turning time between sharpening the tools, so if you need to study, it's been too long. With practice and a good setup, it takes me well under a minute to sharpen a bowl gouge, but I do it at least once per bowl, and likely several times when finishing a larger bowl.