Thread: Finish - water resistant - for the inside of communion chalices.

Question Finish - water resistant - for the inside of communion chalices.

In the past I have used shellac, WTF, and Wipe-on Poly for the inside of communion chalices. They are used weekly and are hand washed. I am about to finish this year's crop of communion sets and want to revisit the best finish.

None of the above mentioned finished have performed badly. Any leaks in the chalice came from cracks in the wood grain and not from the finish.

So what would you use in this application. Woods used this year are kiln dried, straight grain poplar and maple. I like semi-gloss or gloss.

Thanks
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Wonder how a marine varnish would work? Like - the high-end stuff like Epifanes.

Didn't you use some of that on a table a couple years back? Or, was that a different Creeker?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Yes, I have used Epiphanes on a picnic table and on a garden bench. Additional sanding and coats after 2 years. Looks wonderful. That would seem to have the right of toughness and it does not have to be hard as steel. I assume that it would fully cure in a month when I will give them away.

Waterlox has worked for a dining and coffee table too.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 04-28-2015 at 4:02 PM.

Mr Kent -

I thought of the Epifanes/marine varnish because of the purpose of the object - to be in contact with water.

That - plus UV protection - is kind of the raison d'etre for Epifanes, no?

And - wasn't the table somehow related to a wedding reception? Or - am I just making that up?
    Regards,

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Good memory, Kent. I did not start it for the wedding, but I sped up to meet the occasion.

Seal the wood with West System Epoxy using the number 207 hardener. Then put on whatever finish you want. Should keep it totally water tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Good memory, Kent. I did not start it for the wedding, but I sped up to meet the occasion.
    Man -- that was a while ago, yes? I recall it because it was the same time I was using Epifanes for a project, and because you had a really cool design for the table - - can't recall what it looked like, just recall that you had something cool, and that it was for a wedding. And, because I am a fan of your name.......

Odd the things that stick in your memory-, eh?

Here's the table.

And I have always liked your name too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two things I would not use is shellac or a waterborne finish. Alcohol is the thinner used in shellac and putting and alcoholic beverage into a container coated with shellac will dissolve shellac releasing it into the wine. Similarly, alcohol is a solvent for waterborne finishes.

I would use oil based varnish or an epoxy.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Here's the table.

And I have always liked your name too!
    That's IT!! That's the table I remember. Loved it at first sight.

Still in good service? How'd the finish hold up in SoCal weather?

How's the newlyweds getting on - all good? must be the Brain Table Karma at work.....

Best regards....

BTW - would love to see photos of communion chalices - not in my repertoire as a woodworker or a user..................

Two things I would not use is shellac or a waterborne finish. Alcohol is the thinner used in shellac and putting and alcoholic beverage into a container coated with shellac will dissolve shellac releasing it into the wine. Similarly, alcohol is a solvent for waterborne finishes.

I would use oil based varnish or an epoxy.
    +1 to that.
    Howie is spot on.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I had a cracked tooth and the cost of a crown, which is where my money is going. So that means I am going with wipe-on poly