Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Hookup for Dust Gorilla

Electrical Hookup for Dust Gorilla

I just received my Dust Gorilla and and getting mixed signals from Oneida on how to hook-up the electrical.

It is a 2HP system that draws 11.5 AMPS. One engineer told me to connect 10 Guage wire to a 15 AMP breaker and another told me to use a double pole 20 AMP breaker.

Does anyone have one that is currently connected. I would appreciate the information.

Thanks,
    Bob Dean (new member)

Bob,

Welcome to SMC!

If your new Dust Gorilla truly draws 11.5 amps, then you could run #14 and use a 15 amp breaker. I'd probably run #12 because the larger conductors will run a little cooler but still use the 15 amp breaker. There is no reason to use #10 conductors and it's much stiffer to work with than #12 or #14. Again, if the FLA (Full Load Amperage) draw of the DG's motor is 11.5 amps, then a 15 amp breaker is all you need.

There are a whole bunch of NEC things I could quote, but would frankly rather not type that much right now.

You don't say whether the DG comes with a cord or not. If it doesn't, the easiest way to provide a "disconnect" is with a plug and receptacle. Personally, I like twistlocks because it's a more secure connection.

Rob
    (Addy protocol - experienced, but unlicensed amateur electrician)

I used a double pole 20amp breaker and 12 ga. wire. I thought I read in the manual it said to use a 20amp, but I could be wrong.

Chris

Smile Electrical Hook-Up for Gorilla

Thanks Rob and Chris for your replys.

The motor does not come with a cord and I will use your advise since I also purchased the remote control which has to plug into a receptacle and the motor plugs into the control unit.

I will probable use a 20 AMP with 12 guage wire from the box.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dean
    I just received my Dust Gorilla and and getting mixed signals from Oneida on how to hook-up the electrical.

It is a 2HP system that draws 11.5 AMPS. One engineer told me to connect 10 Guage wire to a 15 AMP breaker and another told me to use a double pole 20 AMP breaker.

Does anyone have one that is currently connected. I would appreciate the information.

Thanks,
    Bob Dean (new member)
    Bob, I just finished installing and wiring my BIG yellow DG - about 3 weeks ago.

I hung the motor/fan combo on the wall before looking at the motor name plate and went to the local Big Box store and bought conduit and some 10 ga wire because the manual said to use a 20A 2 pole breaker for the 220V single phase the motor needs.

When I climbed up the ladder to look at the connections, I read the name plate and it indeed says 11.5A full load. Hmmm... I said. No need for 10ga wire - I'll use the 12ga that I have left from other wiring projects. So back to the BB store with the $32 worth of 10ga for a refund.

I ended up using a 20A 2 pole breaker and 12ga wire. I hard-wired my DG and ran 1/2" metal conduit on the wall and flex from the wall to the motor. When (if) I get a remote, I'll take it apart and hardwire it into the circuit, sans plugs.

If you are going to use plugs to connect the remote, might I suggest that you invest in true 20A receptacles and plugs - not that it is strictly necessary for the amps, but rather as one other poster mentioned, things will just run cooler.

But when I pressed the 'GO' button, it did sound impressive as the motor spooled up to RPM. Dang near sucked my arm into the inlet when I put my hand near it. Should work very nicely.

Momma has been away for a few weeks visiting her mother and I took a vacation from the heat and humidity in the garage/shop - but now that she's on the way back it's time to get the ducting ran and actually start collecting chips and dust.

Best,

Leo in San Antonio

I having been working to get my dust gorilla up and running for a little bit now. The electrician is coming out tonight to do the hookup so hopefully I will be able to try it out soon. As far as the setup, mine is exactly like Leo's... 20AMP double pole breaker wired with 12GA through 1/2 EMT hardwired to the unit via flexible metal conduit (Greenfield). I actually did all the work and chose all the components but need an electrician to come out and do the final hookup since my city does not allow unlicensed individuals to apply for an electrical permit -- and I want a permit since I am wiring up my entire garage (not just hooking up a DC) so I don't create homeownser's insurance problems for myself in the future. I also purchased a bag gripper and am just hardwiring that as well. The cord just pull into the box that handles the transition from conduit to flexible cable.

While a 20AMP breaker doesn't really seem necessary (15AMP should carry the loads the motor is rated for just fine) I decided to go with the 20AMP just in case and since I am doing all the wiring from scratch is really wasn't any extra effort -- a 20AMP breaker really doesn't cost more than a 15AMP either.

I was originally going to buy a remote setup as well but was actually warned against it by the Oneida sales rep due to the possible interference issues (don't really want my dust collector going on when my neighbor opens his garage) and the fact that a DC really isn't meant to be switched on an off alot -- not too lazy to walk over and hit the magnetic switch that I mounted on the wall near where my workbench will be a couple times an hour anyway.

By the way, I would ignore the guy who told you to run 10GA on a 15AMP circuit as that is just silly. 10GA will carry 30AMPs and would make no sense to use on a 15AMP breaker unless you just want to make things difficult for yourself -- 12GA is much easier to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bradley
    As far as the setup, mine is exactly like Leo's... 20AMP double pole breaker wired with 12GA through 1/2 EMT hardwired to the unit via flexible metal conduit (Greenfield).
    Jeff,

3 posts - welcome to SMC yourself.

What are you using for a disconnect given that you hardwired your DG in?

Rob

Thanks everyone for your input. I am looking forward to getting the Gorilla wired and running.

I will keep you posted.

Bob in Cumming, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Jeff,

What are you using for a disconnect given that you hardwired your DG in?

Rob
    Such an innocent comment. But I've been thinking about it now for about 6 hours.

Our 220V oven runs off a breaker in the main box as does the 220V AC unit. Same for the 220V fan motor in the gas furnace.

In a previous life I lived on a small "hobby" farm and the irrigation pump had a breaker, but it was 440 3phase and fed directly off the transformer on the pole. But the household 'stuff' was all 220 and fed directly from the breaker box, as does this house.

Now you've got me wondering Rob - should there be something else in the circuit besides the breaker in the main box for all the power to the garage - 50A 220V and a 20A 220V breaker in the sub-box and the magnetic starter that came with the Gorilla. Is there something else that needs to break the circuit?

I ask because your question seems to imply that we've somehow goofed up by hardwiring the DG-DC sytem. And from reading your profile, that says you have some knowledge in electrical systems. <shrug> Please give me your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Leo in San Antonio</shrug>

Leo,

In general, it's not a good idea to use a circuit breaker as switching device. Not knowing the specifics, it may also go against code.

The gist of the National Electric Code - as I interpret it - is that:
    • This is all about motors and motors only. The applicable NEC article is 430 if you want to read all this.
    • You need a "disconnecting means" for motor loads.
    • Said disconnecting means "shall be located in sight from the motor location and the driven machinery location".

It's my understanding that a "normal" circuit breaker is not acceptable as the disconnect for anything over 1/8 HP for "stationary" equipment. There is something called a "molded case circuit breaker" (MCCB), but there's one of those things in the used welding pump panel I bought for my phase convertor and it's not the same thing as what we snap into our panelboards. The MCCB in the panel I bought is designed to be a standalone device, not something snapped into a panel.

So - for a stationary motor load, you need a disconnect. "Cord and plug" is the normal means of disconnect that most of us use for our machines. Hopefully we're all in the habit of unplugging a machine and putting the cord in plain view on the machine when we're changing blades, cutters, etc. For a "hard-wired" machine, you need a "disconnecting means" which would be a switch rated for 115% of the motor's FLA (Full Load Amperage) rating and/or a horsepower-rated switch.

For "Stationary Motors of 2 Horsepower or Less", there are 3 additional options:
    1. A general-use switch having an ampere rating not less than twice the full-load current rating of the motor
    2. On ac circuits, a general-use snap switch suitable only for use on ac (not general-use ac–dc snap switches) where the motor full-load current rating is not more than 80 percent of the ampere rating of the switch
    3. A listed manual motor controller having a horsepower rating not less than the rating of the motor and marked "Suitable as Motor Disconnect".

Now - it could be that the circuit breakers we put in our panels are MCCBs and acceptable as "disconnecting means". If those standard breakers are acceptable, it means the panel must be in sight of the motor and machine. Personally, I'd put a safety switch in. They're cheap enough on ebay. Heck - I have a couple I'm not going to need I'd sell dirt cheap.

So - Leo - did this answer your question? FYI, I called my town and asked them if the circuit breakers are considered an acceptable disconnect. I'll post what their answer is.

As Rob says, what he's talking about here applies to motors. (you'll find different requirements for your cook stove or electric heaters). To add just a bit to Rob's response: NEC 2002 article 430.127 says that the disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked open.
    Feel the wind and set yourself a bolder course

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    So - Leo - did this answer your question?

Rob - I do appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed answer, but unfortunately one of the drawbacks of this medium is that we can never be sure we are talking apples and apples without lots of back and forth to clarify terms.

So I just kludged a simple drawing in AutoCAD of my DC (Dust Collector) electrical system.

It's all hard-wired at this point. But if a 20A plug and socket would be necessary from the emt conduit box on the wall (where the current flex conduit starts) to the motor then that won't be too much of a problem.

And to address Bill's comment - the magnetic starter is the "switching device," - at least to my understanding. Is my understanding incorrect?

So guys, more insight please - but at this point I'd like to stay with simple words - yes, no, install a plug and socket. All the code quotes have just left more confused than I was when Rob posted that innocent question, " What are you using for a disconnect given that you hardwired your DG in"

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help us (me) ensure we have a safe electrical installation.

Best,

Leo in San Antonio
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leo, since you have the mag switch in there, you are just fine. That's your disconnect!

-------
    To the original poster, 20amp circuit with 12 guage wire for my system. I use a contactor to control the unit from a central location in the shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Leo,

Yes the magnetic starter switch is an acceptable dissconnect device. Your initial post only mentioned the system being hard-wired to the panel, which made me think that you were switching with the breaker. I didn't infer from your mention of the "GO" button that you were using the mag switch.
    Man, crow sure is tastier in the morning.

BTW I have the Oneida 2 HP commercial system and it is wired with 12/2 on a 20 amp breaker. Plug and socket, with a X10 remote. Unfortunately, I got mine only months before they came out with the DG unit, otherwise I would've had a yellow one too!
    Last edited by Bill Lewis; 08-11-2005 at 10:47 AM.