Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riving Knife, Splitter and Safety

Riving Knife, Splitter and Safety

Newbie here, I've owned a Delta direct drive table saw for 20+ years, but want to get more into the woodworking hobby. This saw isn't great, would like to upgrade to a nice contractor saw or hybrid. I have never used the clumsy guard/splitter it came with as its impossible to see or measure where you are. And the fence is awful, but the unit has served its purpose and I've not gotten hurt or had issues as I'm pretty careful with it. A new Grizzly G0771 looks perfect, but quite a bit out of my range at the moment.

However, there is lots of used stuff on CL. So, the question is, how much is safety really improved on these new models as there seems to be plenty of older models out there without riving knives or splitters. There also seems to be an outfit that sells splitters, riving knives, guards for older saws, though they aren't cheap.

Any thoughts on riving knives, splitters, etc. is welcome as I'm getting confused on the real benefits. Thanks in advance.

Mike

I use my riving knife almost all the time. It's not instrusive and it quite effective in preventing kickback. Here is what Fine Woodworking published on riving knives a few years ago -- it's quite graphic and clear. http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-...ing-knife.aspx

I actually took delivery of a grr-ripper yesterday and used it for the first time today. Gotta say, it feels strange to run your knuckles above a spinning blade, but it seemed very secure and produced a nice cut right to the end.

A splitter or riving knife is the most important safety feature on a tablesaw because they prevent kickback induced by work pivoting into the blade. Riving knives have been common on European saws for many years and are now found on newer saws made elsewhere. They work best because they maintain a fixed small distance from the blade. Splitters are independently mounted and thus the gap between them and the blade varies depending on blade height, but they are still a huge advance over no splitter. Bolt-on splitters are available for some saws, but almost all saws can be fitted with a wood splitter glued into a plywood zero clearance throat plate. If you are serious about upgrading your saw and have the budget for it, a newer cabinet saw with a riving knife is a good choice. If your funds are more limited, upgrade your old saw with a new fence and homemade splitter or find an old Powermatic 66 or Unisaw with a Biesemeyer or Unifence or such and put a Biesemeyer snap-in splitter on it.

Most shops with older saws threw away the combo guard-splitters for the same reason you did, but the baby went out with the bathwater. Using a splitter and a push stick and an awareness that your saw wants to eat your fingers will enable counting to ten digitally for a long time.

Great input guys, also super video, I understand the issue a lot better now. Need to think about this in terms of what I can spend a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    ...find an old Powermatic 66 or Unisaw with a Biesemeyer or Unifence or such and put a Biesemeyer snap-in splitter on it.

Do you know where this splitter can be bought? I recently uncrated a brand new "old" PM66 and looked in vain for this. I read somewhere that it is no longer made. I do have an Excalibur overarm for dust and guard and I'm unbolting and bolting the cut-down factory splitter as necessary. This is a pain.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Do you know where this splitter can be bought? I recently uncrated a brand new "old" PM66 and looked in vain for this. I read somewhere that it is no longer made. I do have an Excalibur overarm for dust and guard and I'm unbolting and bolting the cut-down factory splitter as necessary. This is a pain.

JKJ
    Check out this website

http://www.mikestools.com/anti-kickb...ders_1047.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gambone View Post
    Any thoughts on riving knives, splitters, etc. is welcome as I'm getting confused on the real benefits. Thanks in advance.
    My advice is forget splitters, a true riving knife is what you want. It will sit a hair below the blade and it will rise and lower with the blade, as well as tilt with it. It provides a solid protection against kickbacks and doesn't gets in the way even for trenching cuts because it doesn't protrude above the table. It's a set & forget safety feature, which is the best kind.

I have been running for 28 yrs a delta contractor saw & have zero safety stuff on it..just naked blade.. Amazingly I still have 10 fingers. But I am very careful and use a Gripper or push sticks. But just one moment of distraction & that could change fast. I checked out the link above & no help there..most all listings are no longer made. A new saw is not feasible at this time. Any other suggestions/links to an aftermarket item?
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

1. You can make your own splitter that actually works like a riving knife.

2. The company that make the Gripper also makes the MicroJig.
    I have one and it works good.

These are certainly no subsitute for a true riving knife but if, like me, you have a really good but older cabinet saw, you wouldn't buy a whole new saw for a riving knife, right?

It appears the Biesemeyer unit is unavailable- too bad. It may be that the liability was too great to make such an item now that riving knives are available (required?) on new saws.

It is easy to make a working splitter by gluing a wood fin into a plywood throat plate. It's not a true riving knife, but far better than nothing. If the original combo guard is available the blade cover can be stripped off it to make it more usable.

+1 on the micro jig mj splitter. I used one for about 10 years on my old ridgid contractor saw. Made zero clearence plates out of Baltic burch and used both the regular and thin kerf models of the mj splitter. At the time I didn't have the money to upgrade the saw to one with a riving knife and I had installed a biesemeyer fence so the old splitter wouldn't work anymore.

But, it only works if it is being used. There was a time I was trimming up about a 18" square sheet of 1/4 ply when I didn't have the mj splitter in and I must have twisted/rotated the ply a bit. Wood grabbed the back of the blade and sent the square saucer flying around the shop. Missed me but scared the crap out of me. To be honest I really don't know exactly how it happend because it happened so fast. The ply had a nice half moon saw mark on the underside. I wrote "KICKBACK SUCKS!" With a sharpie on the piece an nailed it to the wall in front of the saw to remind myself not to be a dummy. I've since upgraded the saw but the board still resides on the wall. Even that famous "safe" saw wouldn't have stopped my dumb move if the riving knife isn't installed.

Bies splitter "no longer available"

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post

Thanks, but that was where I looked before following a Google search. It still indicates "no longer available." If I can find someone who has one for the PM66 maybe I can measure it and machine one. Meanwhile I just got the little Micro Jig kit so I'll give that a try.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gambone View Post
    Newbie here, I've owned a Delta direct drive table saw for 20+ years, but want to get more into the woodworking hobby. This saw isn't great, would like to upgrade to a nice contractor saw or hybrid. I have never used the clumsy guard/splitter it came with as its impossible to see or measure where you are. And the fence is awful, but the unit has served its purpose and I've not gotten hurt or had issues as I'm pretty careful with it. A new Grizzly G0771 looks perfect, but quite a bit out of my range at the moment.

However, there is lots of used stuff on CL. So, the question is, how much is safety really improved on these new models as there seems to be plenty of older models out there without riving knives or splitters. There also seems to be an outfit that sells splitters, riving knives, guards for older saws, though they aren't cheap.

Mike
    Hi Mike< there's nothing new about riving knives or blade guards, they've been around for almost 100 years.

A riving knife or splitter is required to keep the work piece from rotating into the rear of the blade, which will result in a kickback.

A blade guard has the primary purpose of preventing contact with the top of the blade by a work piece which also results in a kickback. (This type of guard is called a crown guard and is common everywhere except in North America)

Note that both the guard and splitter/riving knife have the primary purpose of preventing kickback.

Kickback can result in serious internal injuries to the operator, in addition to the possibility of having a hand forced into the blade.

A riving knife/splitter and guard should always be used for all through cuts, no exceptions.

On non through cuts such as rebates, grooving, dadoes etc. an overhead guard should be used.

Don't operate a saw without guards and a riving knife/splitter...............Regards, Rod.

If you are taking the time and $$ to upgrade, my advice is to get a saw with a true riving knife - not just a splitter. I have a Sawstop (which has the flesh-sensing technology) but its most important safety feature is the knife.

Further, look for a saw that allows a tool-less switch between the guard and the riving knife. This will make you more prone to use the right device at the right time.

I would trade extra horsepower and flesh-sensing technology for a proper riving knife.

There is a plethora of old saws on the market precisely because rk's became more of a norm a couple years ago.

That G0771 is on sale right now, you know, and a new hybrid saw well south of $1000 is hard to find.

Keep using your existing saw until you can afford the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    +1 on the micro jig mj splitter. I used one for about 10 years on my old ridgid contractor saw. Made zero clearence plates out of Baltic burch and used both the regular and thin kerf models of the mj splitter. At the time I didn't have the money to upgrade the saw to one with a riving knife and I had installed a biesemeyer fence so the old splitter wouldn't work anymore.
    +2. I installed the microjig splitter on my contractor saw after putting the Incra fence system on. I didn't want to cut the rear fence rail to allow the use of the OEM splitter/guard. I would still like a cover guard over the blade on occasion, and I might eventually spring for an Excaliber at some point if I don't upgrade the saw first. But the splitter is a nice inexpensive solution. I've seen it work first hand. I could see the kerf close up behind the splitter as I was ripping down some 2x4s.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher