Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: G0766 ... they're on their way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    When did your club place its order Thom?
    Not sure of the date - February, I think. We had to get a debit card for the President so that he could place the order online and we voted on it at the January meeting.

We currently only own two of the small Deltas and have 'borrowed' the ex-president's lathes as needed. The small lathes are not at the meeting place (a college classroom) but the new one may be although it looks like we may be moving the regular meeting to one of the board member's shop. Some of us want to rent a store front and possibly use volunteers to run a small gallery.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

2. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Not sure of the date - February, I think. We had to get a debit card for the President so that he could place the order online and we voted on it at the January meeting.

We currently only own two of the small Deltas and have 'borrowed' the ex-president's lathes as needed. The small lathes are not at the meeting place (a college classroom) but the new one may be although it looks like we may be moving the regular meeting to one of the board member's shop. Some of us want to rent a store front and possibly use volunteers to run a small gallery.
    Sounds like starting your own turners gallery co-op. Good luck with manning the store.......one of my galleries is an artists co-op and we have 40 artists of different mediums.......we are barely able to cover the open hours! Of course, some of them do not work hours, but take a 50/50 split, and those who work at least 10 hrs a month get a 80/20 split. Not a bad idea Thom if you can get the days covered.

With a February order, yours will likely come in the first shipment.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

. . . . .

Funny........that lathe looks bigger in the setting of our club space than it did in my shop! Perspectives change I guess with the setting, but I thought about the new lathe being even a bit bigger, and thought how glad I will be to get it in place and running..........

Me and John Deere can get my 766 to within twenty feet of where it goes, even closer if I talk straight line but with some concrete half height walls in the way. I'm scratching my rear a little bit as to just how that lathe is getting in my shop. The old one wasn't any treat and it was much lighter!

I'm counting on things being like the lawyers always say they are, "Where there is a will there is a way!"

Hu

4. Quote Originally Posted by hu lowery View Post
    Me and John Deere can get my 766 to within twenty feet of where it goes, even closer if I talk straight line but with some concrete half height walls in the way. I'm scratching my rear a little bit as to just how that lathe is getting in my shop. The old one wasn't any treat and it was much lighter!

I'm counting on things being like the lawyers always say they are, "Where there is a will there is a way!"

Hu
    Perhaps piece by piece, Hu?

Perhaps piece by piece, Hu?

Roger,

I think it comes assembled less the legs. No question, the tailstock and banjo are coming off. The headstock is the issue. Just doing some subtracting and making a wild guess I think it will weigh 200 pounds or more motor and all. Sure to be a lot heavier than the Craftsman headstock and it was a bear getting in the room and getting assembled. If my windows were bigger, I think through a window might be easiest. Right now I'm starting to think that I might be able to get some use out of the headstock sliding end to end of the bed. Might allow me to shift that much weight from end to end of the lathe when I need to.

I don't think there is much of a chance I will choose for it to remain crated but assuming yours arrives before mine I would appreciate a quick snap or two of the crate, particularly the bottom or enough of the bottom to see how the skids are positioned.

I'll take some pictures before long to show what I'm dealing with. Had some but I can't find them right now. Hard to even get shooting angles in the old dairy barn, the front two rooms of which will eventually be my wood shop. I'm thinking that I may rig the slide to get my old lathe out. If it works for that then I will have basically had a test run for putting the new lathe in.

Careful planning and a little care and I'm sure things will be fine, an interesting engineering problem however. I'm starting to think about slides and ramps and such. My inspirations being Rube Goldberg and Dr. Seuss!

Hu

6. Quote Originally Posted by hu lowery View Post
    Roger,

I think it comes assembled less the legs. No question, the tailstock and banjo are coming off. The headstock is the issue. Just doing some subtracting and making a wild guess I think it will weigh 200 pounds or more motor and all. Sure to be a lot heavier than the Craftsman headstock and it was a bear getting in the room and getting assembled. If my windows were bigger, I think through a window might be easiest. Right now I'm starting to think that I might be able to get some use out of the headstock sliding end to end of the bed. Might allow me to shift that much weight from end to end of the lathe when I need to.

I don't think there is much of a chance I will choose for it to remain crated but assuming yours arrives before mine I would appreciate a quick snap or two of the crate, particularly the bottom or enough of the bottom to see how the skids are positioned.

I'll take some pictures before long to show what I'm dealing with. Had some but I can't find them right now. Hard to even get shooting angles in the old dairy barn, the front two rooms of which will eventually be my wood shop. I'm thinking that I may rig the slide to get my old lathe out. If it works for that then I will have basically had a test run for putting the new lathe in.

Careful planning and a little care and I'm sure things will be fine, an interesting engineering problem however. I'm starting to think about slides and ramps and such. My inspirations being Rube Goldberg and Dr. Seuss!

Hu
    Hu, I am thinking that the crating on this G0766 will be similar to the crating on my G0698 when it arrived. I took the headstock, tailstock and banjo off to get the bed into the shop and then put the legs on the bed, then added the headstock, etc and it was a simple process. I did have help from my sons, but with a pair of sawhorses, one can do what I did with the help of my sons. You will likely need at least one person helping you.

I uncrated mine outside the shop, then assembled inside........if that helps. I will be glad to post a few pics when it comes in.

I uncrated mine outside the shop, then assembled inside........if that helps. I will be glad to post a few pics when it comes in.
    That's how I did my GO733, of course it weighs a little less than the GO766. I only weigh 130 lbs and was going to do it myself but my son showed up when I was uncrating it. I had intended to take the head and tailstock off and use a chainhoist to lift the bed onto the legs, but with my son we simply left everything together. Piece of cake!!
    BTW, I imagine the 766 will be crated pretty close to how my lathe was crated, the crate will just about have to be disassembled to get the head and tailstock off. They sure didn't spare any screws on that crate either. I saved all of them for further projects.

Roger, I still keep in touch with the Creek on a daily basis. Just stopped taking the time to post, for no particular reason. I will try to put more effort in posting again, as I value everything I've learned here over the years and the good people that make this what it is. Really, this community is a priceless resource.

9. Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    That's how I did my GO733, of course it weighs a little less than the GO766. I only weigh 130 lbs and was going to do it myself but my son showed up when I was uncrating it. I had intended to take the head and tailstock off and use a chainhoist to lift the bed onto the legs, but with my son we simply left everything together. Piece of cake!!
    BTW, I imagine the 766 will be crated pretty close to how my lathe was crated, the crate will just about have to be disassembled to get the head and tailstock off. They sure didn't spare any screws on that crate either. I saved all of them for further projects.
    That is pretty much what I did with my crate when unpacking my G0698.......after I had the lathe for about 3 months, and really put through its paces, then I used the crate and some other scrap plywood to build a tool cabinet for my chucks and turning tools. I still have a few of those screws left that have not been repurposed yet.

The drawer sides were made from the crate plywood........it is neet to open the drawer and see the Grizzly logo that was painted on the crate.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-04-2015 at 2:06 PM. Reason: typo

Roger: Any idea how many G0766's are on that shipment from China? I'd like to order one as soon as the hit the US, but I'd really like to see a customer review first. The major turners in TN Assoc. of Woodturners have said to not get Grizzly (for whatever reason they have), and only recommend Jet or PM. For the $100 off the Jet JWL-1642EVS-2, I'd really like the addition turning diameter, and mass. So please review ASAP. Try to be impartial (I know you're already partial by reading your previous entries). Thanks.

I'd like to be able to turn deep vessels like I have at JC Campbell in the past (on PM 3520B).new_ambrosia_vessel[1].jpg This one measures 12" tall.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Roger: Any idea how many G0766's are on that shipment from China? I'd like to order one as soon as the hit the US, but I'd really like to see a customer review first. The major turners in TN Assoc. of Woodturners have said to not get Grizzly (for whatever reason they have), and only recommend Jet or PM. For the $100 off the Jet JWL-1642EVS-2, I'd really like the addition turning diameter, and mass. So please review ASAP. Try to be impartial (I know you're already partial by reading your previous entries). Thanks.

I'd like to be able to turn deep vessels like I have at JC Campbell in the past (on PM 3520B).new_ambrosia_vessel[1].jpg This one measures 12" tall.
    Mark........I am of the opinion that the reason some have disliked the Grizzly is because some years ago, the Grizzly lathes were without features we need. Many of them were too light weight and many had the slowest speed at 500 rpm or above, and some reeves drives were not the greatest. That is a bygone era for the most part.

The newer models with high end features will stack up against the Jet 1642 easily and have comparable features to both Jet and the PM 3520b. They are all made by the Burt Group for the respective distributors and have many interchangeable components.

If you stick with the G0632 clone of the Jet 1642 evs, the bigger G0733 18/47 or the newest G0733 22x42 then you should do just fine. I had my G0698 18/47 lathe for over 5 years and now our club has it........it has been a superb performer without issues. The Grizzly lathes do not have the cage and are not quite as heavy as the Pm 3520b, but with added ballast you can make it work great for larger turnings. That cage adds some weight in the statistics about the 3520b, so you won't be far off on the new G0766 on weight anyway!

Just ask many of the G0733 owners.............they will tell you the unit is a fine machine! I expect no less from the G0766 with its premium inverter.......best value in a large lathe on the market, in my opinion. I could have gotten the 3520b if I wanted, or even if I really wanted to swing it, a Robust American Beauty, [which I may do anyway at a later date when I get a bigger shop/studio] but for now, I really think this G0766 will do most anything I want with the 22" swing and 3 hp motor.

know this ...a lot of turners just heard something sometime about Grizzly lathes and have never turned on one themselves. I have turned on 9 different 3520b units, several Jet 1642 evs units, one Robust American Beauty, and several other midi type lathes and I feel I have a sound basis for comparison of the units mentioned.

No doubt the Robust AB is the class of the field, but I am a tool guy.......quality matters to me and so does value. If I did not have the very good experience with my former G0698 and have heard so much positive about the G0733 successor of my G0698 18/47..........I would not have ordered the G0766 22/42. Performance matters to me, but so does value, and function/ performance is my first consideration..........I am confident I have gotten both in this G0766 unit.

Someone said that they heard over 100 units were on the first shipment........I have not asked that question, so I cannot do anything but take what someone else said....... but I do believe that they have probably somewhere between 125 and 175 units already ordered. Last I heard about 6 weeks ago, the CS rep said over 120 then.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-04-2015 at 4:31 PM.

Roger - sounds like you could be a great Grizzly Representative. Please let us know when your new lathe arrives, and maybe do an unpacking and setup thread. I am sure you are correct regarding the new lathe's quality. Grizzly is well known amongst the guitar builders here in Nashville, so the lathe should be no different.
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 05-05-2015 at 8:09 AM.

may 4 2015 I got a postcard stating that the 0766 lathe on backorder ( we regret to inform you that we are still awaiting receipt of the merchandise bla bla and we are unable to estimate at this time exactly when the items will ship) Well I called them and I guess the original date they gave me was may 22 so I got the card. But when I called may 5 2015 the girl told me that the date was revised to may 25 and that I was in that shipment of them to grizzly. So if you get a postcard all is not lost, just 3 more days I hope.

Hu, you and me both on getting it moved into the shop. Though, as I posted in another thread, I have stairs with a 90 degree bend to contend with. I'm young and pretty fit, so I feel confident I can get most of the pieces into my basement, but that bed may be a bit troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Waldeck View Post
    Hu, you and me both on getting it moved into the shop. Though, as I posted in another thread, I have stairs with a 90 degree bend to contend with. I'm young and pretty fit, so I feel confident I can get most of the pieces into my basement, but that bed may be a bit troubling.
    Two wheeled cart (hand truck) Klaus..........stand it on end, strap it tight, and you can make that turn one step at a time!