Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: G0766 ... they're on their way!!!

Just how heavy is the center section going to be? I've been told to not remove the motor and headstock assembly, because it weighs so much.

BTW: I sent an email to Grizzly CSR to see if units in the shipment are available to purchase, or if all of them have already been spoken for. I will inform this forum once I hear back. I am really anxious to get one of these for myself, but as a first time lathe purchaser, I am really trying to be cautious. I have a Shopsmith, which is why I really want a dedicated lathe. I am sure you all know the drawbacks to that machine as a lathe.

Mark........you will realize a world of difference from a shopsmith! Fist off, if you get one of these lathes, you are bypassing minor leagues, and going right to the majors, as far as a lathe. Of course there will be the usual learning curve if you are not an experienced turner.

I recommend taking the headstock, banjo and tailstock off for assembly........it will be too difficult otherwise! Just have a buddy come over to help with the weight........2 people can easily do this with a sawhorse or two! Of course you want some help that is without a bad back or some issue that will cause harm if they lift a little weight.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I just received word that orders for this lathe are expected to arrive (probably another shipment) on June 24th, and back orders will be fill first. So, if I want to obtain this I need to place the order, and wait my turn. By then hopefully Roger will have a play-by-play video of how this machine is performing. Thanks folks, I hope to enjoying real wood turning by mid-Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Just how heavy is the center section going to be? I've been told to not remove the motor and headstock assembly, because it weighs so much.

BTW: I sent an email to Grizzly CSR to see if units in the shipment are available to purchase, or if all of them have already been spoken for. I will inform this forum once I hear back. I am really anxious to get one of these for myself, but as a first time lathe purchaser, I am really trying to be cautious. I have a Shopsmith, which is why I really want a dedicated lathe. I am sure you all know the drawbacks to that machine as a lathe.

4. Mark........feel free to join the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] where you will find 106 other Grizzly owners who discuss things related to Grizzly lathes. Just hit the community tab at top of this page, then groups.......you will see the link for the group. Feel free to join in the conversations and post a few pics of your work if you would like!

Thanks for the invite. I will check that out tonight when I get home. I am trying to setup in the new garage space, but wifey seems bound and determined to sell this house and move once again. Flux - the state of my life any more.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-07-2015 at 2:13 PM. Reason: removed advertising link.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Waldeck View Post
    Hu, you and me both on getting it moved into the shop. Though, as I posted in another thread, I have stairs with a 90 degree bend to contend with. I'm young and pretty fit, so I feel confident I can get most of the pieces into my basement, but that bed may be a bit troubling.

Klaus,

Should be interesting! I'm going to take my time with planning and preparation, hopefully the job will be the easiest part then.

Hu

As of this morning, Grizzly is still sticking with the May 15th date. Hopefully that holds as it's only a week or so out

When did you order?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    As of this morning, Grizzly is still sticking with the May 15th date. Hopefully that holds as it's only a week or so out

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    When did you order?
    I ordered mine sometime in the first week of April if I recall.

OK - when I call 2 days ago CSR said next shipment would be in US about June 20

The earlier arrival is fantastic news. When I had ordered mine, they said there were plenty on the shipment to cover the orders placed at that time.
    Last edited by Jeramie Johnson; 05-07-2015 at 1:45 PM.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    OK - when I call 2 days ago CSR said next shipment would be in US about June 20
    Mark........if there seems to be confusion as to dates, then know that Grizzly will fill all the orders they have already received first, then if there are any that are not spoken for, they will go out as orders come in. They may perhaps have all of the units already shipped spoken for, but the next shipment on June 20th will cover the orders being received now.........

Just what my thoughts are about the likely scenario.......at this point. I do know they will ship units in the order of the way they came in..........first order in, first order out, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Just what my thoughts are about the likely scenario.......at this point. I do know they will ship units in the order of the way they came in..........first order in, first order out, etc.

Roger,

According to the person I spoke to awhile back there is a caveat to that. Each shipping center will ship according to first come, first served, but all shipping centers are not getting some machines out of each shipment from what that person indicated. Missouri is getting the first shipment from what I was told. The other centers will get later shipments.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of that of course but the person taking my order did ask where I was and checked which distribution center I would receive my lathe from. They said that it would make a difference when I received my unit. I don't remember dates now but I think there are four shipments that have long been scheduled, at least three, and they are within a few weeks of each other so I think supply will catch up with demand not later than August or September, maybe sooner.

I thought I had scrawled those shipping dates on an old envelope but if I did I can't find it, my filing system leaves a little to be desired!

Hu

14. Hu.......you may be correct I was told that orders would be filled in the order they were received, and as far as my particular order, it would be shipped from the Missouri distribution center. I live only about 2 1/2 hours from the Muncy, Pa. distribution center.

The CS rep checked specifically based upon my order number, and from what I had gathered from our conversation, the specific order number has an assignment date and distribution center............these things are the internal workings of the company, and likely management only knows the reasons why they do things the way they do.........at least, I think the process is correct that the first ones who ordered get their lathes shipped first.

For me, that is just one more week! [not meaning that as a gloat, just glad to get on with my work!]
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-07-2015 at 7:48 PM.

they may choose to ship from Missouri in order

Roger,

They may choose to ship all over the country from Missouri to fill the backorders in the order received, I don't know. Don't know if the person I talked to was correct in what they told me either! Regardless, you should have your lathe very soon.

Burt often sells by the container load so assuming that all lathes in a container were 0766's I figure a container would hold at least seventy-two lathes, maybe a few more if they pack them tight. A nine high container would hold ninety-six, a few more if they pack them tight. Might leave me hanging, I think I was about number ninety-nine! Of course they may be shipping more than one container of lathes or an overlength container. We'll know soon!

Hu