Thread: New grinder/CBN on the way

New grinder/CBN on the way

I currently have a Steel city variable speed grinder, I bought several years ago. Recently, I have been having issues with the grinder not wanting to stay on slow speed setting.......at times it will all on its own, just rev up to the 3450 rpm speed and not want to come back down without all kinds of tinkering with it.

I always liked the grinder and it runs well......just the variable speed control is on its last legs. I found out back last fall that Steel City had made an industrial grinder with more precision and power and supposedly premium motor and bearings...........it is a 3/4 hp unit, 1750 rpm, and I almost purchased one back last fall.......here is a pic

While Steel City just closed its doors, I took a chance and got one of the remaining ones on the market, and it is a single speed unit, and has unique wheel balancing adapters that come with it, although I will not need it with the CBN wheels......[I have the 180 on order and when the 80 grit comes in stock, I am getting that one as well]

Highland Hardware was carrying this unit last fall and were singing its praises as a unit that was both well engineered and ran without wobble. I think they have sold out now, but with some searching, it can still be found. I am likely not to have to be concerned with replacement for many years, so I went ahead and took whatever minimal risk there might be, but based upon the one I have now, which is a cheaper model with less hp, then I think there is hardly any risk, because it has run well.....it is just that variable speed pot that is the issue.

The CBN wheels are the 1.5" Hurricane wheels from Steve Fulgoni at the Wood Turners Store, and have the 5/8" direct bore, so no bushings needed. I am hoping to start out fresh with the sharpening and new lathe at the same time, so when I get them in use, I will post how I like them related to my current setup.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-02-2015 at 1:41 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

2. I heard that Steel City sold out to a Canadian firm and is not longer, right now, making tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew DiLorenzo View Post
    I heard that Steel City sold out to a Canadian firm and is not longer, right now, making tools.
    I read an article on Fine Woodworking's website that said they closed operations in March 2015. I would think that some company would take them on as a division and perhaps continue to make at least some of their tool line. I knew this when I purchased the grinder mentioned above, but decided that what I had read about it and my past experience was good enough that this was likely a grinder that would last me for many years........if it doesn't for some reason, well, at least I knew my risk up front, but I likely have gotten a very good grinder that is industrial rated at a pretty decent price.

Anyone else use this grinder pictured above? If you have it, I would appreciate your impressions!

Roger,

I have the Steel City Grinder, owning it for about nine months. I am so pleased with it, that I would buy it again, even with Steel City closing. It is extremely smooth running the standard wheels. You do have to watch, because it will still be spinning several minutes after you turn it off. Somethings it is hard to tell if it is turned on or off, it is quiet all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bashore View Post
    Roger,

I have the Steel City Grinder, owning it for about nine months. I am so pleased with it, that I would buy it again, even with Steel City closing. It is extremely smooth running the standard wheels. You do have to watch, because it will still be spinning several minutes after you turn it off. Somethings it is hard to tell if it is turned on or off, it is quiet all the time.
    Thanks for that info, Matthew......I was hoping someone else had this model. I remember Highland Hardware was pretty upbeat about it last year. Sounds like a quality machine from your description.

Roger,Let me know if you have any issues with the shaft length when you put the CBN wheels on it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Roger,Let me know if you have any issues with the shaft length when you put the CBN wheels on it.
    Will do, David...........my present grinder is also a Steel City and there were no problems with shaft length on it for my cbn wheel, so if this one is the same dimensions, then I will be good. I think it will be fine, because it comes with balancing adapters for matrix wheels, and they are fairly thick, so it should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    I got the new grinder in yesterday...........wow, am I ever impressed with this unit. It is so smooth and quiet, and even though I got new CBN wheels with 1.5" width, there is plenty of shaft for the wheels. This thing runs so true, that it just keeps on running after you turn it off..........

If someone is looking to upgrade to a fine grinder with industrial rating, at a fairly reasonable price..$299.00, then if you can find one [I got mine from ebay] and there were a few left, so just a heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I got the new grinder in yesterday...........wow, am I ever impressed with this unit. It is so smooth and quiet, and even though I got new CBN wheels with 1.5" width, there is plenty of shaft for the wheels. This thing runs so true, that it just keeps on running after you turn it off..........

If someone is looking to upgrade to a fine grinder with industrial rating, at a fairly reasonable price..$299.00, then if you can find one [I got mine from ebay] and there were a few left, so just a heads up!

Roger,

What's the shaft length measurement from the shoulder of the shaft (that the hub of your CBN wheel butts up to) to the end of the shaft threads? Also, confirm 5/8" shaft or something else. Thanks, Dave

11. Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Roger,

What's the shaft length measurement from the shoulder of the shaft (that the hub of your CBN wheel butts up to) to the end of the shaft threads? Also, confirm 5/8" shaft or something else. Thanks, Dave
    I have the guards back on and cannot take that measurement, David, unless I take it all apart. However, with the 1.5" wide wheel, I used the washer that came with the wheel on the outside and had to add another, in order for the nut to snug up and put pressure against the hub of the wheel.......there is actually a little shaft between the hub and where the threads begin.

The reason for this is that the grinder comes with balancers on the grinding wheels that can be adjusted, and is a neat deal for sure. Because of that the shaft is plenty long on both sides. I got a 5/8" direct bore Hurricane cbn wheel the wood turning store [Steve Fulgani] and let me say I sharpened 3 tools and am impressed with the quality of the wheel so far. I was only able to get the 180 grit as the 80 grit was out of stock, but is supposed to be coming in soon, so I will get it as well.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-14-2015 at 8:18 AM. Reason: spelling

No problem Roger

I think I'm interested and might know of one for sale. Roger, just double-checking, is that model # 15430?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I think I'm interested and might know of one for sale. Roger, just double-checking, is that model # 15430?

Thanks!
    You are correct, Brian........the model # is 15430. And this is a super nice unit!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    You are correct, Brian........the model # is 15430. And this is a super nice unit!
    Thanks Roger! I reserved one at Woodwerks and will pick it up tomorrow. If anyone else is interested, Woodwerks said they had a couple in stock.

http://www.woodwerks.com/catalogsear...l+city+grinder
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher